Show Navigation Menu
Media

The impact of music

More
12 years 10 months ago #33390 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: The impact of music
Venom84 wrote:

Thats funny,earphones in R.E classes,i did that in most of my classes,and i didn't get bothered by the teachers at all,think they were intimidated by me.. :P

Pretty much had mine in all the time in lessons - Kids were just too noisy and I couldn't hear myself think, so I blocked them all out. Black hair and good black earphones = Teacher doesn't even notice. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33393 by iHauntTheSepulchre
I'm a muso, so picking out and isolating particular instruments within a song are quite easy for me. I do however listen intently to the lyrics. I guess I just want to hear the story the singer is weaving. There are a few songs which have really questionable lyrics but I still like them because of the music not the words.
I guess I always used to put teachers off by quietly singing the words to the most \"disturbing\" songs I knew whenever the were within earshot. I don't find the lyrics disturbing, but as it was a Catholic school I knew they'd find them disturbing.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
12 years 10 months ago #33395 by Serpenvicis
Replied by Serpenvicis on topic Re: The impact of music
Well, I would wear earphones if I could. They are strictly forbidden in my school :( But that doesn't stop me to have them all the time except during lessons. :P
I went to religion classes in elementary school because my mom subscribed me when I was first class. In the fall I'm going to high school an I hope I won't have to go to religion classes. Our teacher wasn't priest, but woman and she wasn't nun. But we have a priest that is even worse than she is. He is against any music except church music. Everyone who wears black is sotonist for him and musicians are devils :S :angry:

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33399 by black_magnolia
I never had earphones on during lessons, even if the professors sometimes got off topic and started talking about other things. I was so fortunate that most of my professors were very good, so it paid off listening to them even when they weren't teaching course work. You could always learn something useful. And when my class got noisy I'd just read some book or do homework - they never got so noisy that I found it distracting/bothersome to work in some way. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago #33408 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: The impact of music
black_magnolia wrote:

I never had earphones on during lessons, even if the professors sometimes got off topic and started talking about other things. I was so fortunate that most of my professors were very good, so it paid off listening to them even when they weren't teaching course work. You could always learn something useful. And when my class got noisy I'd just read some book or do homework - they never got so noisy that I found it distracting/bothersome to work in some way. :silly:

Oh lucky!

Things weren't like that for me until the last two years (non-compulsory education, so we were all there by choice and I chose pretty traditional subjects whereas the noisy kids tended to go off to learn other things).

Had my earphones in pretty much all through compulsory education though (yup, they were banned here too and confiscated if seen, but to be honest, I was always such a quiet student and got good grades so I was ignored. Teachers tended to focus on the badly behaved kids instead).

It was always impossible to learn in lessons then..Though heavy earphone-usage throughout those years has meant that my hearing is pretty bad now, so I avoid earphones these days. Hah. Guess you could call that an impact of music. Bad hearing! :(

More
12 years 10 months ago #33412 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

Though heavy earphone-usage throughout those years has meant that my hearing is pretty bad now, so I avoid earphones these days. Hah. Guess you could call that an impact of music. Bad hearing! :(

Oh, I agree! :S Now when I use earphones, I always watch out that other people can't hear what I'm listening to - and I mean not one single tone, even if nobody is around to hear me.

I did a phase when I didn't use them at all and I found it a bit scary when I was in the tram and I could clearly here what some guy standing 2 meters away from me was listening to. It makes you really notice how bad it must be for someone's hearing when you can hear their music that good. :huh: Not to talk how annoying it is having to listen to some music that you don't like at all! In the same way I don't like listening to turbo folk or some other genre, I assume some also don't want to listen to metal...

I stopped listening to music when I'm walking in town etc. A friend teased me once that you miss what's going on around you when you're always immersed in some music - I have to agree with him. How many people get hurt in accidents becasue they didn't hear the vehicle or similar.

Now I only use headphones when I'm stuck in a coach (ergo, for long travel) or when I want to listen to music at night becasue I don't want to bother the neighbours (hell, I can't sleep when someone is streaming some rap in the middle of the night, so I'm being so thoughtful that I don't do that myself with my music...)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds