Show Navigation Menu
Media

The impact of music

More
12 years 9 months ago #33335 by Serpenvicis
Recently I had conversation with my teacher in school. We were talking about does and how much music impacts on people's behaviour. She claimed that kids who listen to metal and that kinda stuff act more violently. My question is, what do you think about that?

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33336 by Venom84
Replied by Venom84 on topic Re: The impact of music
:) Hiya, i believe that in some cases this is true and in others not..
I think it all depends on an idividuals state of mind..
I find that i have not changed, i'm still my normal self-if i was to begin with. :P
Where as i know a few people and they have changed,not to the degree of committing murder, but they could definatley do with laying off it abit..What are your opinions on this? :)

I'm going to live my life the best i can and how i want to, and if no one likes it i don't care..Lifes too short..xx

More
12 years 9 months ago #33337 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: The impact of music
I think your teacher is a fool and just as bad as those who blame video games for violent behaviour.

I mean sure, there could be people who claim to have been inspired by certain forms of media but chances are they were already mentally imbalanced beforehand, though it doesn't help with some cases being so similar to scenes in certain forms of media that they get the blame.

Though this topic does remind me of something I heard of a while ago: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7598549.stm

More
12 years 9 months ago #33339 by black_magnolia
I don't think music can be the sole reason for a person to get violent. It takes more that that.
I think it depends on the person, ergo if a person is mentally imbalanced beforehand as Kuroboshi pointed out.

People that have violent tendencies will listen to music that is in sync with their ideas of the world and that can be metal, rap, techno whatever suits such a person. I can't really imagine a violent person listening to soul music, but there are enough psychos out there so nothing would surprise me.

Example, Hitler was a painter and a vegetarian, he loved animals, but he obviously wasn't someone you'd consider a not-violent person.

Music is often described as a means for people to talk about their emotions, ideas etc. So naturally it is also a tool for violent people to speak their mind if they so choose.

I don't think a person with a somewhat stable character will get violent just becasue of listening to \"violent\" music, but I believe that a person who isn't stable and listens to music that is advertising violence in some kind could get violent. It's a question of brainwashing an individual.

You have neo-nazi music which goes from metal to country style, and which is obviously propagandising racism and violence - I'd say that kind of music will make you only more violent if you are already part of such a group of people, but I can't believe that a \"normal\" (for lack of a better world) person could go and listen to such music and then end up violent...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33345 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: The impact of music
I've listened to heavy metal all of my life (well, since I was old enough to choose what I listened to, at least), and I don't think it's made me more violent. If anything, I find it cathartic. If I have a bad day at work, I put on something really loud and agressive, and listening to it calms me down. If I was in a situation where I had to listen to plastic pop music all day, I probably would punch someone.

I think anyone who does something drastic and violent because of music, or any other form of media, has to be unbalanced to begin with. Really, if you're blaming the voices in your headphones, that's a pretty big clue right there. It's just a shame that the media has to have something sensational to latch onto, rather than really trying to find out why people do what they do. I know Ed Gein killed because his dead mother told him to, and I believe Son of Sam was following instructions from his neighbour's dog. I don't know of any media outcry to ban dogs and dead mothers though.

But sadly, the knee-jerk reaction to blame music is not likely to go away. I'm sure back in the 40s that older folks were blaming \"that newfangled swing music\" for all the trouble the kids were getting into; Elvis was going to corrupt an entire generation with his \"dirty dancing\"; Alice Cooper and Ozzy were both considered the little better than the anti-Christ at one point in their careers. And I'm sure today's teenagers who listen to the hardest of hard-core music will someday be shaking their heads over what their own kids are listening to.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33355 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: The impact of music
black_magnolia wrote:

Example, Hitler was a painter and a vegetarian, he loved animals, but he obviously wasn't someone you'd consider a not-violent person.

He loved Disney movies too apparently! :woohoo: Just thought I'd throw that in.

I reckon the creation of violence from metal or any kind of music (even rap) is a load of bollocks to be honest!

Practically all of the people I know that listen to metal are EXTREMELY quiet and peaceful people - Wouldn't hurt a fly and mostly avoid confrontational situations of any sort. Even when I listen to metal - It's usually when I'm in a very low-down/crappy mood and it's just to feel like someone else is sharing my anger or pissed-off-ness, so I'm not alone in wanting to scream at what can appear to be an idiotic world. It's either that or I listen to metal to appreciate the musical talent of the guitarists. :P

I'd be inclined to agree with all previous voices on this - It really depends on an individual's mentality to begin with and how much they soak up violent media, not the actual media itself. Sure, we all have days where we feel like hacking and slashing at everyone around us, but (I hope!) we all know the difference between what's a silly, spur-of-the-moment angry thought and what's not.

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds