Original-content fairytales

• millkins
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Six white russians and a pink pussycat
More
13 years 1 month ago #30303 by millkins
I have searched everywhere for the original spooky and sometimes very cruel versions of fairy tales (folktales). I have absolutely no idea even where to get started on this search. I have searched the web, but not with a lot of luck, just found bits and pieces, and I heard from friends that no such book exist. I am really interested in the stripped old version of this because it gives weight and a bit more depth than just the censored, elegant and polished editions. If you are unsure of what I am talking about here is an e.g part of Cinderella, you know how her sisters locked her up and wanted to try out the glass slipper? Well in the original both of them cut their fingers on their feet in order for it to fit, also they got a harsh sentence from the prince after that (just can't seem to remember what kind of torture was it). Also red riding hood has a lot of more violence and blood in the uncensored version that I just happen to hear, when I was a teenager.

So if anyone has any kind of info on this I would be most grateful. Thankies. :)

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #30305 by Envy
I think you'll have a very difficult job of finding 'originals' as it's in the nature of folklore and fairytales to be regaled by mouth, and naturally, this results in *lots* of differing versions.

One of the best ways to search is to probably look up origins of Disney movies. Disney are well known to have fluffed up nastier stories, like 'The Little Mermaid', into something more child-friendly. :P

I recall hearing a nastier version of 'The Little Mermaid' once before..I'll try and find it, but no guarantees. I just recall a lot more gore in it, and not such a happy ending. I've also heard of nastier versions of 'Little Red Riding Hood' - Lots of them. Some have her or a woodcutter cutting open the wolf and retrieving her grandmother, some turn out with the wolf eating everyone..

:woohoo: Yeah. There are a lot of versions.

• millkins
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 month ago #30306 by millkins
Yeah you are right the little mermaid ends in the version I have heard as sea foam, because she fails to get her prince and I actually owned a CHILDRENS red riding hood book that has an illustration of the woodcutter cut-opening the wolf...I don't know where it is but still it was from my older brother printed during the seventies, when there was no PA and we were happier :P Good thing you reminded me I HAVE TO find that book....and post it everywhere :D

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
13 years 1 month ago #30307 by Envy
millkins wrote:

Yeah you are right the little mermaid ends in the version I have heard as sea foam, because she fails to get her prince and I actually owned a CHILDRENS red riding hood book that has an illustration of the woodcutter cut-opening the wolf...I don't know where it is but still it was from my older brother printed during the seventies, when there was no PA and we were happier :P Good thing you reminded me I HAVE TO find that book....and post it everywhere :D

:P I haven't heard that 'Little Mermaid' version! I've heard versions where when she's turned into a human, every step on land will be like stepping onto knives, and the pain was so much that she collapsed the moment she walked on land and this is how the prince first finds her (was that the Disney-fied version? I wouldn't think so, but I can't remember). Also heard another where she has to cut her own tail in two to gain legs.

I wouldn't have thought such violence would be seen in a children's book for 'Little Red'..Aah..Wonder what versions I have. I know I have several big books of fairytales in my room somewhere, but the publishing dates weren't that long ago, so I don't think there'd be much violence and gore. :woohoo: Probably published during early 1990s at the earliest.

More
13 years 1 month ago #30314 by Kuroboshi
www.cracked.com/article_18589_7-classic-...r-rated-stories.html

It's a humour site but it's relevent to the topic at hand, somewhat, it basically tells you of alternate versions of fairy tales and such that have been made into Disney movies.

I always remember being told of the violent ending of \"Little Red Riding Hood\" where the wolf's stomach gets cut open by the guy though I can't rely on my memory to say whether there were any pictures or not. There might have been, I get vague images of it which may be a memory or may just be fabricated.

With the world as it, I'd be surprised if a kid's book had that sort of stuff in it now. Likely the Grandmother is hidden under the bed or something.

• millkins
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 1 month ago #30319 by millkins
OMG Kuroboshi that is exactly what I needed more links and more info, I want to get to the original or at least a more folkish versions or if they are signed pieces the originals, not the fancy pansy...I really like this article, also I have thought of pursuing the Disney made cartoons on the topic but never did...big mistake...gonna do it right now.

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds