Show Navigation Menu
Media

stephen king

More
14 years 7 months ago #1516 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:stephen king
CorpseQueen wrote:

Read the first book in the Dark Tower series, and wasn't caught at all. Found it more boring then anything else. Tried to read another book, but I just don't like they way he writes. Maybe that'll change in time, as I'd love to read something that is actually scary, haven't found anything yet... all under the \"Horror\"-sign usually has something to do with 'sexy'...

Love the movies tho. Seen Secret Window, and loved it. Room 1484 (I believe?) was pretty nice as well, liked the story and the end of it... somehow I love it when stories don't have the urge to tell everything about everything (Robert Jordan anyone?), and 1484 just focused on the things at hand, and what has happened in the past was only part of the past, and you only have you own thoughts about it.

The first book of the Dark Tower series isn't his best work, but the series does get better as it progress (there are 7 books total). He draws in characters from some of his other works as well, although you don't have to have read the others, to follow Dark Tower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #1521 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:stephen king
I think I see a trend in this tread... :silly:

I'm just not a fan of how he writes. It's too... well, weird for me, and it doesn't get interesting or exciting. Read an action-scene, and sure it had an interesting story and sound, but not one that I'd like to get more of.

Maybe it has to do with time, but I like writers more like Eric S. Nylund and Patrick Rothfuss... think I could say they're my favorites B)

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 7 months ago #1553 by Veszdrin
Replied by Veszdrin on topic Re:stephen king
i could say that i'm a fan of stephen king. not just his books but the movies based on his books are very good. he has a very creative imagination to come up with the stories that he writes. my favorite would have to be \"IT\". although i could never see how that movie would make people afraid of clowns. i've always thought that teh more evil a clown looked the better. but that's just my twisted mind speaking. :P

Those are the words of someone who does not know true despair....If you do not know it, I will teach it to you...

More
14 years 7 months ago #1558 by CorpseQueen
Replied by CorpseQueen on topic Re:stephen king
But evil is always more goodlooking... if they're not perfection of humanity, they're most intersting in other ways... :silly:

My beauty is not the shape of the body,
but the voices in you mind;
the thoughts you can't live without

More
14 years 7 months ago #1574 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:stephen king
I tend to like SK's books better than the movies... they just never seem to get translated to the screen in the way that I expected.

I used to find his books terrifying when I was younger, 11 or 12 or so. They're not quite so scary now, but I do still like most of his work. I guess it's the fact that they're usually set in these small little villages where everyone knows everyone else's business. I grew up in a place like that, so the characters and situations seem plausible to me. I like his sense of humour as well... I get a few good laughs from just about every book.

More
14 years 7 months ago #1608 by demonica66613
Replied by demonica66613 on topic Re:stephen king
All of Stephen King's stories are based in Maine, USA. That's where he lives. His wife is a writer too. I've only read I think 2 of his stories. Misery being the most memorable. The movie doesn't do the book justice. That women was so much more crazy in the book. The movie she used a sledge hammer, the book she used a chainsaw. The book, she cut his finger off with an electric knife and used it as a candle on a cake. In the movie,, nothing. I the movie she throws his food across the room and storms out. In the book, she cleans up the mess and makes him drink the bucket of dirty water....
I also liked the movie Needful Things. It shows how materialistic people can be and how easy it is to manipulate people.

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds