All things Alchemy.

Ask for advice

More
10 years 10 months ago #39357 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re: Ask for advice
simon_xw wrote:

Dear Magnolia

other things

On the top pictures, it looks like someone just removed the two scythes and put some crystals in the mounting holes instead :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #39360 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Ask for advice
Madam_Mim wrote:

On the top pictures, it looks like someone just removed the two scythes and put some crystals in the mounting holes instead :huh:

Exactly as Madam_Mim wrote.

You see, it's not hard to alter Alchemy items if you want to, that's why I'm pretty sure the ring with the crystals in it's eyes is also altered, ergo the crystals were added by the previous owner.

Alchemy would only change the colour of the crystals used (and even then, they do that very rarely), they wouldn't just add crystals to an existing design. They don't repeat designs like that - by that I mean, if they would have decided to do a skull ring with crystals in it's sockets, the crystals would fit better in the eye sockets and it would be Swarovski crystals used, and the design wouldn't be almost 100% the same as the previous ring, they would surely alter the shape of the skull etc.

I've been told by many people that I have quite a good eye for design, and I'm pretty sure those are just cheap plastic cabochons in the ring, and probably also cheap crystals in the belt buckle too.

Alchemy uses Swarovski crystals, so the crystals should have a much clearer and better shine to them.
AG did use some other crystals for their really old items, but also at that time they overall didn't use many crystals for their designs; but the ring in question here isn't a discontinued piece, so it would have Swarovski crystals in it.
Interesting thing too, if you look at the AG catalogue (past & present), you won't find any skull ring with crystals in it's eyes. There are just an example of a pendant and cufflinks of skulls with crystals, and as you can see there, the crystals there totally fill up the whole eye socket (that's also important so that the crystal has a smaller chance of falling out).

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
10 years 10 months ago #39361 by simon_xw
Replied by simon_xw on topic Re: Ask for advice
Dear Magnolia,
OK, I understand, thank you very much.
I collected a lot of ag, discovered the problem, so very much like to know why this is.

More
10 years 10 months ago #39362 by black_magnolia
simon_xw wrote:

Dear Magnolia,
OK, I understand, thank you very much.
I collected a lot of ag, discovered the problem, so very much like to know why this is.

You'd like to know why people alter their alchemy items? Because they can, and there are a load of people out there who aren't really aware of the brand or the collectible value of the items, and just see a nice item and because of their personal preferences they choose to alter it.

The items in their original form are only really valuable to collectors; and how it goes with collecting, it's quite a personal preference how someone goes about forming a collection. Same way, for example, with collecting action figures - for the collectors, the most valuable are those who are limited edition, really old and in original unopened packaging, but for someone who just likes to play with action figures, it doesn't really matter in what condition they are, it only matter that they like them.

So, it's not really a problem - if you are a regular person and you like the item, you buy it; if you are a collector, it's assumed that you know what you are collecting and are informed, so when you see an altered item, you won't buy it (although, if you find the item is collectible because of being a curiosity (there aren't a load of original altered Alchemy items around, there are more altered items in the form of being fakes/pirated copies of the design), then you can buy it either way). It's all a matter of taste.

And eternity in an hour.

More
10 years 10 months ago #39364 by simon_xw
Replied by simon_xw on topic Re: Ask for advice
OK, only two of us in the discussion, :(

thank you again, :laugh:

I understand that change brings the fun, I decorated shoulder bag and keys. :P

I have a new problem:
I have two Zodiac :AZP1 - Aries,
one lacks some of the negative marks, which can be considered a normal situation?
Attachments:

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #39365 by black_magnolia
Could you post better photos of the pendants? The picture is a bit small for me too see details.
Generally, it's possible that the trademarks fade with continued wear, but that's more often the case with rings then with pendants. (example, my \"Bride of Corinth\" ring's marks have faded considerably due to wearing it often, but you can still see parts of the trademark).
I'd consider it an extremely rare find if an Alchemy item exited the factory without the trademarks.

Also, if both pendants weight the same, then I'd say they are both real, if I can't see any other differences between them.
Pirates when they produce fake items, they use less quality material, thinner and lighter material, like zinc, or they use heavier like lead (which both isn't good), so weight can also be an indication if the items are real. (Usually the pirated designs are on sight smaller then the original items. I saw several Alchemy crosses on ebay pirated, and saw them live in one shop too, and they are all a few centimetres smaller then the original, cheap light material too.)

Yeah, seems like we're the only ones in discussing, but wouldn't be the first time I gave someone advice on the authenticity of an Alchemy item. B) I encourage people ask here on the forum for advice on this matter, if they aren't sure, rather then buy fake items and be disappointed in the end.

And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by black_magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.375 seconds