Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Dragons

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #9022 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Dragons
trykster wrote:

EUROPEAN DRAGONS! for some reason i look at them as way more epic than the Chinese ones, even though i know that the Chinese culture puts ALOT of emphasis on the divinity of dragons... but still i mean i haven't heard of epic battles between knights and dragons from china o.O

im ignorant, ye...

~Luis

You wouldn't find 'epic battles between knights and dragons from China' as Chinese dragons are a symbol of peace and are supposedly loving and wise, compared to the aggressive European depictions of dragons.

However, despite being a British-born Chinese person myself, I prefer the aesthetics of the European dragons.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Envy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #9023 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Dragons
European dragons aren't agressive, they're just misunderstood . . . at least that's the argument I always have with my husband. He just rolls his eyes . . .

More
14 years 4 months ago #9026 by Envy
cemwerewolf wrote:

European dragons aren't agressive, they're just misunderstood . . . at least that's the argument I always have with my husband. He just rolls his eyes . . .

:P Haha, well, we'll lock you up with one, take a few bets and see what happens?

;) Aggressive or not, the European versions are ever-so-cute though.

More
14 years 4 months ago #9029 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Dragons
Considering my history with wild animals, when you came back I'd probably be cuddled up with it telling it a story . . .

More
14 years 4 months ago #9030 by Envy
That reminds me of an article I read on a news site a few months ago - About a family who had gained a pet fox after caring for it since it was a cub.

A baby dragon as a 'pet' would be great. :P Although having widespread domesticated dragons would probably wipe out all of the other pets...Not to mention, it could grow to be extremely wise and you could end up as the possible 'pet'..Or snack. :woohoo:

More
14 years 4 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #9032 by SkieShauphen
Replied by SkieShauphen on topic Re:Dragons
Well Cem is right. Pretty much all European dragons are misunderstood. In all of the stories, either the dragon was brought out of it's habitat and thrown into the mix of humanity, where it was just trying to survive, or humanity came to it and attempted to destroy it because it was 'evil'. When maidens were stolen or when livestock was snatched up it was always a punishment for the sins of man. And, man, believing they are oh so holy, took it upon themselves to kill the dragons rather than redeem their sin. That's the way man works. Instead of solving your own problems peacefully, apparently it's just much simpler to go kill something. And when dragons started fighting back for their lives all of a sudden they were 'evil' and vicious creatures that were spawned from hell.
The oriental cultures never had any problems with Dragons. Why? Because they saw the dragons as a source of knowledge and power. Kingdoms were ruled under Dragons and entire era's of technology were solely devoted to dragon-kind. They lived along peacefully to this day. Same as the Central American Indians. Though, their bond with dragons weren't exactly humble, it was more or less fear. They feared dragons, and because of that they thrived peacefully and grew to have one of the greatest ancient empires ever. Similar with the Egyptians. Not only did they worship the dragons, they asked them to guard their tombs, which they did, voraciously. Only the Europeans with their multi-cultural religions saw any creature above themselves as evil.

Meaning comes from within.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by SkieShauphen.

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds