Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Low cost chinese shop corsets vs regular cost

More
12 years 5 months ago #35715 by DarkFlights
Ah, thought I'd weigh in with my experience here, as I had to make a real corset for my HND in theatre design (we were doing costumes and props). I was a stone lighter in weight then, as it was over five years ago and a proper corset, with good quality boning (steel instead of whalebone, obviously) and a proper patern, where we each made one to fit ourselves and honestly, I wouldn't be prepared to buy a corset (not a lightly-boned top, but a real one) for less than fifty quid, unless it was second-hand. The amount of work and materials that go into a real one is amazing, I wouldn't make another one again either, so damned difficult!

Also, for those of us with a, ahem, fuller figure, like myself, those little diddy corset tops - even if you can find one above a UK size 12, which is unusual - aren't very good, as there's no boob support so you still might have to wear a bra underneath, and really it's no different to me than wearing a tight top. Oh how I wish I were tiny!

As for cheaper clothes - charity shops and the sewing machine are your friends. :) I've only ever found jeans that fit right (and aren't those hip-hugging things) in charity shops, often good quality labels too,a nd as yet I'm not oversized that I can't usually find something that fits that is eaither quite nice already or just needs a little modification.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #35728 by firensia
I wish I could sew but I'm not a very patient person. Also, for a corset, it might cost as much to buy the raw materials as buying one ready made. I've seen steel boned corsets selling for around $50 and fashion corsets can be bought for about $15 on eBay. But I suppose there would be a feeling of pride knowing you actually made one and you could make it look anyway you want. It might be too hard making a corset from scratch though. If I do decide to start sewing, I'll stick to something simpler. :)

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by firensia.

More
12 years 5 months ago #35729 by Envy
DarkFlights wrote:

Ah, thought I'd weigh in with my experience here, as I had to make a real corset for my HND in theatre design (we were doing costumes and props). I was a stone lighter in weight then, as it was over five years ago and a proper corset, with good quality boning (steel instead of whalebone, obviously) and a proper patern, where we each made one to fit ourselves and honestly, I wouldn't be prepared to buy a corset (not a lightly-boned top, but a real one) for less than fifty quid, unless it was second-hand.

I agree! All of my proper corsets were easily over 50 pounds..I find the price is really worth it when you get a proper hourglass shape, as opposed to cheaper corset-style tops that don't really do much for you shape-wise and are more for decorative purposes.

More
12 years 5 months ago #35734 by black_magnolia
I don't really think that a corset is so complicated to sew, you just need a good pattern to start with and then time becasue you have a lot of small parts you have to sew together - one of my friends has sewn a couple of corsets, so I know from her. Naturally, the more sewing practise you have, the easier it is.
Overbust is a lot more complicated then underbust, but also it depends from person to person - it's harder to sew a proper overbust for someone who has a small weist but big boobs... :silly:

My first corset was a proper black victorain overbust with steel bones - cost me some 110€ at that time, but was worth every cent. :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #35740 by firensia
black_magnolia wrote:

it's harder to sew a proper overbust for someone who has a small weist but big boobs... :silly:

Should be easy for me to make one for myself then since I won't have this problem. lol

black_magnolia wrote:

My first corset was a proper black victorain overbust with steel bones - cost me some 110€ at that time, but was worth every cent. :)

Are steel boned corsets terribly uncomfortable? I've always been scared that they would feel like you're being suffocated.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by firensia.

More
12 years 5 months ago #35746 by Envy
firensia wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

it's harder to sew a proper overbust for someone who has a small weist but big boobs... :silly:

Should be easy for me to make one for myself then since I won't have this problem. lol

black_magnolia wrote:

Are steel boned corsets terribly uncomfortable? I've always been scared that they would feel like you're being suffocated.

I'd say they're more comfy than the more decorative, plastic boned ones. :blink: In fact, I'd say they're very comfy anytime, anyday!

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds