× All things Gothic.

Gothic Make-up

  • firensia
  • Offline
  • Alchemist
  • Alchemist
  • To thine own self be true
More
8 years 5 months ago #33727 by firensia
Replied by firensia on topic Gothic Make-up
black_magnolia wrote:

Thanks girls for the tips! :)

I think we have Revlon in Croatia, just have to hunt down some shop that stocks it.

I'm pretty sure we don't have CoverGirl here and that site just links me to other retail suppliers and it seems most don't ship internationally...

Anyone ever tried Manic Panic make-up?


To me, Manic Panic is a bit costume-y. I'd wear it for Halloween but definitely not for everyday use. I find some of their eyeshadows to be chalky. They do have a new vegan collection out called Creature Of The Night which I haven't tried yet though.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #33733 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Gothic Make-up
Thanks Firensia! I had the same feeling about Manic Panic just from the looks of the packaging, but you can never know if you haven't tried it.

Anyone know of any other alternative make-up brands like Manic Panic?
My local goth-shop stocked \"Stargazer\" cosmetics, but I never tried them out...

Generally, I don't know if it's wiser to stick to some mainstream brand or are the alternative ones better in some way?

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #33748 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Gothic Make-up
black_magnolia wrote:

Thanks Firensia! I had the same feeling about Manic Panic just from the looks of the packaging, but you can never know if you haven't tried it.

Anyone know of any other alternative make-up brands like Manic Panic?
My local goth-shop stocked \"Stargazer\" cosmetics, but I never tried them out...

Generally, I don't know if it's wiser to stick to some mainstream brand or are the alternative ones better in some way?


I'd stick to mainstream. I've tried Stargazer hair dye before and it's just not the same quality as dyes by mainstream brands..Though maybe those are just my thoughts because they do semi-perm dyes which fade out anyway and end up looking..Eh.

Just generally for quality, I'd go for a mainstream brand, seeing as they're more established in the market and therefore have more money to spend on quality/research/development of products and have probably been developing their stuff for years compared to the niche brands. I've found mainstream eyeliners and mascaras in all sorts of unusual colours too, so I don't think you're at much of a loss if that's what you're after.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #33750 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Gothic Make-up
Envy wrote:

Just generally for quality, I'd go for a mainstream brand, seeing as they're more established in the market and therefore have more money to spend on quality/research/development of products and have probably been developing their stuff for years compared to the niche brands.


Generally those mainstream brands in fact pay more money for marketing and product placement then product development - therefore they are mainstream in the first place, but not necessarily better.

I'm sure everybody knows about \"Nivea\"? Prime example of a brand that has been around for years, invests a load in marketing but in comparison small amounts into development/research. The fact that they extensively test their products on animals isn't a bonus in my opinion.
I stick clear of them because I get a rash from almost any of their products (expect that classic cream), but my sister is a loyal buyer who doesn't have any problems. :S

So much for brand names... that's the reason I rather experiment a bit with brands, but alas, there are so many around... :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #33751 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Gothic Make-up
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

Just generally for quality, I'd go for a mainstream brand, seeing as they're more established in the market and therefore have more money to spend on quality/research/development of products and have probably been developing their stuff for years compared to the niche brands.


Generally those mainstream brands in fact pay more money for marketing and product placement then product development - therefore they are mainstream in the first place, but not necessarily better.


Ahh but that's just the nature of the market. Heavy non-price competition in general. When one firm advertises the hell out of things, all the rest have to in order to compete - But still. I'm pretty sure due to the scale, that even if they spend a relatively small proportion on product development, the amount and time spent would generally be more than what a smaller producer could afford to do?

:P I've never had a problem with Nivea, but I just don't like their moisturising creams etc. I much prefer stuff by 'Dove' or 'Vaseline'..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #33752 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Gothic Make-up
Envy wrote:

Ahh but that's just the nature of the market. Heavy non-price competition in general. When one firm advertises the hell out of things, all the rest have to in order to compete - But still. I'm pretty sure due to the scale, that even if they spend a relatively small proportion on product development, the amount and time spent would generally be more than what a smaller producer could afford to do?

:P I've never had a problem with Nivea, but I just don't like their moisturising creams etc. I much prefer stuff by 'Dove' or 'Vaseline'..


Essentially - yes, but then we can also ask ourselves if they started doing the same in the cosmetics industry like in the food industry, where you can find brand name items on the shelves with their no-name counterparts and in fact those no-name products were also produced by the brand-name company... :silly:

Ah, we better stop ourselves before we end up off-topic on marketing tactics - either way, it's all about the money. :P

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 4.855 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum
cookies disabled

To purchase Alchemy Gothic products visit the Alchemy Dealer List - Trade Customers visit www.alchemyengland.com
Copyright Alchemy Carta Ltd. Alchemy Gothic is a registered Trademark, All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Site MapFriends of Alchemy.