Show Navigation Menu
Media

Is goth music more then just metal?

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 4 months ago #3174 by Daruma
I note that many here listen metal

To you gothic music is just metal or is it something else?
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by black_magnolia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3175 by MefistaCenobica
Replied by MefistaCenobica on topic Re:Metal or...
I think that music of all type may be \"gothic\"- it all depends on what you mean by this word

archdevilantidote.proboards.com/
My forum dedicated to bootleg stuff,help me to fill it

More
14 years 7 months ago #3181 by WolfBloodAngel
Replied by WolfBloodAngel on topic Re:Metal or...
Depends on the context of what gothic means....yea it can be Metal...or it could be a dark and looming symphonie (cant spell)...

More
14 years 7 months ago #3182 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Metal or...
I find that a lot of bands influence by folk music of whatever region can feel very gothic to me, whether they are metal or not. I like all kinds of music, from classical to metal to blues. Whatever makes me feel right at the time is good music to me.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3191 by vampirelycanthrope13
Replied by vampirelycanthrope13 on topic Re:Metal or...
I think Gothic music can be metal, but in a slightly different branch of metal, seeing as i listen to a lot of metal bands like slipknot and BFMV, that wouldn't neccessarily be called goth music by anyone i know. But there are lots of goth bands that i wouldn't really call metal mixed in with the thrash and other types of metal bands with slipknot etc. in my local music stores.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3192 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Metal or...
I think metal is rarely gothic but people think it is. Real gothic rock music is a darker brand of post-punk but I think the best type of gothic music that is still true to its original roots is the guitar driven sound of the Sisters of Mercy which is post-punky but influenced by metal. So gothic metal is this kind of sound but with emphasis on heaviness and the guitars rather than keyboards and synthesizers. For example with Type O Negative.

Most people think melodic death/black metal is gothic but it isn't; it doesn't have any connection to original gothic rock genre. But then some bands like Cradle of Filth are influenced by gothic metal because their lyrics can be like gothic literature (a la Edgar Allen Poe) but I'd say their sound is still rooted in death/black metal.

Then there are bands like Nightwish which in my opinion aren't gothic. Just because they include orchestral elements and keyboards and stuff doesn't mean they are gothic. Likewise with female-fronted metal. Although the tying of beauty (female vocals or keyboards) and brutality (heavy or extreme metal) could be seen as gothic... but not in my opinion.

Sorry for short essay and blunt manner, I just got in from college and I'm in a blunt mood...

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds