Show Navigation Menu
Media

What are you currently reading?

More
12 years 7 months ago #34834 by firensia
black_magnolia wrote:

firensia wrote:

Finished the vampire novel and now, I'm reading Gothic Charm School by Jillian Venters. Great book with some quite useful information. I'm sure I'll be reading it again after I'm done. :)

I have that book too. It's a good read, but I didn't find anything really useful inside it for myself becasue I've already came to the same basic conclusions as Venters, so there was nothing new there for me. :silly:

Don't get me wrong, it it's essence the book is useful for someone to whom the whole concept is a new approach about which they haven't thought about earlier, and in that case I recommend a couple of rereadings so that you can remember the tips in real life situations too.

(I know a few persons who read it too and preached how great the books were but then continued to behave like total dickheads to other people... :huh: )

I basically bought the books with the hope that it would have some advice in it about how to talk to your parent about the gothic subculture. My parents still think it's some sort of satanic cult despite my best efforts to convince them otherwise, they are not supportive of my gothic persona though it's been years since I've been dressing this way and even more years since I've been into the music/literature/architecture. Every time the subject of goth comes up, it ends in an argument. I'll probably ask them to read the book after I'm done with it and hopefully, it will quash some of the stereotypes they believe. Hopefully.

I really liked the \"Roots Of The Gothic Garden\" chapter of the book that talks about some goth classics, movies, books, etc. and also the music vs fashion debate. Plus, the illustrations were really nice. :)

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #34835 by Envy
firensia wrote:

I basically bought the books with the hope that it would have some advice in it about how to talk to your parent about the gothic subculture. My parents still think it's some sort of satanic cult despite my best efforts to convince them otherwise, they are not supportive of my gothic persona though it's been years since I've been dressing this way and even more years since I've been into the music/literature/architecture. Every time the subject of goth comes up, it ends in an argument. I'll probably ask them to read the book after I'm done with it and hopefully, it will quash some of the stereotypes they believe. Hopefully.

I really liked the \"Roots Of The Gothic Garden\" chapter of the book that talks about some goth classics, movies, books, etc. and also the music vs fashion debate. Plus, the illustrations were really nice. :)

:P In all honesty, I never *spoke* to my parents about my feelings, thoughts etc. to do with anything gothic. I just did my own thing since I was 13 ish..Started wearing different things, buying my own stuff, listening to different music..Faced a bit of teasing, eye-rolling, \"You'll get out of that stupid phase\" etc. to begin with from them, but I said nothing and just continued with where I was heading..And over the years, my parents just got used to it. :woohoo: I think by now, they realise it's not a phase.

I guess ignoring them was sort of a way of forcing them to accept me - Because I wasn't changing anytime soon. :silly: It may be more effective to not confront them at all about the topic and just keep doing your thing!
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Envy.

More
12 years 7 months ago #34837 by Morgana
I'm really running out of book-shelf space, so I've started re-reading several of my books. Anything that I can't really remember the plot of, is in the stack to be re-read, with an eye to getting rid of ones that I don't think I'd read again.

I have some that I'll probably never read again, but will keep anyway just because of the author, such as Anne Rice's Jesus book (forget the name just now). It was absolutely god-awful, in my opinion, but I have just about everything else she ever wrote, so I guess I'll hang onto it.

More
12 years 7 months ago #34839 by firensia
Envy wrote:

firensia wrote:

:P In all honesty, I never *spoke* to my parents about my feelings, thoughts etc. to do with anything gothic. I just did my own thing since I was 13 ish..Started wearing different things, buying my own stuff, listening to different music..Faced a bit of teasing, eye-rolling, \"You'll get out of that stupid phase\" etc. to begin with from them, but I said nothing and just continued with where I was heading..And over the years, my parents just got used to it. :woohoo: I think by now, they realise it's not a phase.

I guess ignoring them was sort of a way of forcing them to accept me - Because I wasn't changing anytime soon. :silly: It may be more effective to not confront them at all about the topic and just keep doing your thing!

It's not so much that I go looking for confrontation but it could be something as simple as me minding my own business, being on some gothic website and my mom walks in and starts giving me the whole \"I don't know why you're into this. If someone had told me this is what you would have grown up to be, I would never have believed them. No one else in this family is goth. Where did I go wrong, blah, blah blah.\" I've always believed in living life for yourself and I don't go attacking anyone else's way of life so I get offended when people start crticising mine. Sure, I got bullied/teased in school but it didn't stop me from being an honor student. I genuinely don't care about what other people think or say but I love my parents and I just wish that they would accept me for who I am. Don't see why anyone would believe stereotypes before their own daughter. Personally, when I have kids, I'd be proud if they turned out goth because it takes courage to be yourself in the face of adversity. I guess I'll just have to learn to accept my parents' feelings. I'd just like to show them the truth about the gothic subculture as they seem to be grossly misinformed.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

More
12 years 6 months ago #35089 by ImmortalRosencroix
Lately I've been rereading an old favorite. \"The Scarlet Letter\" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I'm not sure why, but I just really enjoy the older use of language.

"Stulum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid.

More
12 years 6 months ago #35090 by iHauntTheSepulchre
I'm reading What Does Blue Feel Like? by Jessica Davidson. It was recommended to me by my best freind and although I find it to be quite a sad and confronting story I can empathise with the characters.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Time to create page: 0.389 seconds