Show Navigation Menu
Media

What are you currently reading?

More
12 years 8 months ago #34471 by Serpenvicis
black_magnolia wrote:

I'm just finishing Coelho's \"The Witch of Portobello\", then I'm going to try Sharf's \"Worldwide Gothic\" and Martin's \"A Clash of Kings\" is next on my to-read list. :)

I can already see myself being annoyed with A Clash of Kings, becasue they didn't have the English book in the library so I have the Croatian version which has some names translated (mostly of places), so I'll probably have to double-check the map if they didn't translate the names literally...

I hate when they translate names into Croatian, because mostly they sound stupid. :angry:
Generally,I think that the books on English are better than translated ones.

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #34476 by black_magnolia
Serpenvicis wrote:

I hate when they translate names into Croatian, because mostly they sound stupid. :angry:

I agree, it's always the best to read a book in it's original language if you can.

The Croatian translations of Martin's books are in fact quite good, but still it's annoying when they translate the names. I'm not so much bothered when they translate something like Ghost into Duh, but Winterfell into Oštrozimlje is beyond my comprehension. :huh:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 8 months ago #34497 by Serpenvicis
black_magnolia wrote:

Serpenvicis wrote:

I agree, it's always the best to read a book in it's original language if you can.

The Croatian translations of Martin's books are in fact quite good, but still it's annoying when they translate the names. I'm not so much bothered when they translate something like Ghost into Duh, but Winterfell into Oštrozimlje is beyond my comprehension. :huh:

:P Yes, that can be annoying. I think that,names especially, are better in English or langague that book is written on than when they are translated.

Wanting to be like someone else, we forget who we really are.

More
12 years 8 months ago #34707 by firensia
Currently reading Vittoro the Vampire, the last book in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles series. Skipped a few books but luckily this one is completely unrelated to the New Orleans undead so no chance of any spoilers. :)

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

More
12 years 8 months ago #34827 by firensia
Finished the vampire novel and now, I'm reading Gothic Charm School by Jillian Venters. Great book with some quite useful information. I'm sure I'll be reading it again after I'm done. :)

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

More
12 years 8 months ago #34830 by black_magnolia
firensia wrote:

Finished the vampire novel and now, I'm reading Gothic Charm School by Jillian Venters. Great book with some quite useful information. I'm sure I'll be reading it again after I'm done. :)

I have that book too. It's a good read, but I didn't find anything really useful inside it for myself becasue I've already came to the same basic conclusions as Venters, so there was nothing new there for me. :silly:

Don't get me wrong, it it's essence the book is useful for someone to whom the whole concept is a new approach about which they haven't thought about earlier, and in that case I recommend a couple of rereadings so that you can remember the tips in real life situations too.

(I know a few persons who read it too and preached how great the books were but then continued to behave like total dickheads to other people... :huh: )

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds