Show Navigation Menu

Depression/Stress

More
13 years 10 months ago #21328 by Poledra1a
Replied by Poledra1a on topic Re:Depression/Stress
Ah Envy. I can sympathise with you somewhat. Friends are funny creatures - he might just be being a guy and forgetting to respond, he might have lost his phone, it might have been stolen, an EMP might have swept through his residance and he doesnt have your number anywhere. Or he might just be trying to protect himself and not replying.

Its hard in those situations - I suffered from undiagnosed depression for a good ten years (major amounts of denial :p) and often thought my friends had abandonded me. Its hard for them too though - moving on in life, moving away, new friends, building new relationships and the like. Some times people just drift out of our lives. The best friends are the ones you dont see for YEARS, and you can resume your conversation and friendship after that time like you only spoke yesterday.

Focus on the encouragement he DID give you, the support he gave you, those comforting words - they still apply. You are still that awesome person. You have to have confidance in yourself - know your work, study hard. And if you fail - cry, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again.

The great thing about threads like these is that you can vent your heart away, and some random stranger is always going to be there to sympathise and talk about it with. Dont ever feel like people dont care luv, we each may be a special individual but we're certainly not alone in this world :blush:

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #21329 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Depression/Stress
Poledra1a wrote:

The great thing about threads like these is that you can vent your heart away, and some random stranger is always going to be there to sympathise and talk about it with. Dont ever feel like people dont care luv, we each may be a special individual but we're certainly not alone in this world :blush:

Yes, that's true. :laugh: You've all probably noticed I talk about a lot of personal things on here. It's just my method of venting. I have mentioned I turned down counselling and the like, just because it wasn't for me.

In a sense, I'm just talking to strangers on here too, but the difference is - I know most of you are like-minded and/or can relate to situations I've been through. I know nothing about some random counselling person and the thought of the whole one-to-one thing with one stranger scares me. Not sure why. I guess I don't really want a single particular stranger to be placed with me with the task of getting to 'know' me.

More
13 years 10 months ago #21333 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Depression/Stress
Envy, I always liked my psychiatrist, and then I couldn't see him anymore because my insurance changed. Boo. But I really enjoyed talking with him. He was nice, and funny, and made me feel better. If you found a good person to talk to, whether they are a counselor, doctor, priest, friend, whatever, trust me, it can really help. You don't have to, but if you find someone you really like and trust, it can help, even if it is just a neighbor, a friend of your parents, or a friend's mom. Really.

I have been out of it for a week now. I finally found a few minutes to go online, but I have been drowning in end-of-school nonsense. Don't ever loan people money. I have spent two weeks trying to get back close to $110 from three people. Ugh. I need to pay my bills, and my Jeopardy money won't come for another 2 months at least. Everyone around me seems to think I am rich now, since I won, but they are shocked when I tell them I haven't received a cent yet. Even after I get the money, I still have to pay taxes, and the money is planned to do some home improvement (fixing the deck, painting the house, and replacing gutters. How exciting!)

I am tired of people assuming I can afford to let it slide. I can't!

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
13 years 10 months ago #21375 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:Depression/Stress
Well, it's safe to say I am going to be under a lot of stress.

About..3 weeks ago on Monday, we get our assignment to pass the video section of our college course. Now, we already have some footage so the lazy people there decide \"HEY! We've got the footage there, let's use it.\"

Now, one person, let's name him C, decides to make all the decisions, and be an editor along with L. This may get difficult to follow, but myself, C, L, St, Sc were all in the editing suite, looking at the footage. I state that for our purposes (a mockumentary) what we have cannot be used. Of course, I am ignored. C and L show incompetence (They have extreme trouble working Avid (the editing software we use)) and arrogance (a refusal to admit they don't know what they are doing and not letting anyone else take over.)

So that's a whole morning gone. After lunch, Sc and I are in the editing suite, we may as well take a crack at it whilst they are gone. Oh wait... The tape is missing. Guess who comes in about 1 hour after lunch is over? C and L. They also have the tape. At this point, our tutor (R) is there and they finally ask for some help. Hell, we had our other tutor (G) down earlier to give us a camera, why didn't they ask for help then?

So at this point, they throw us out the room, and I go off with St and Sc to get some more footage, mainly to kill time and I couldn't be bothered putting up with D (I've tried to drag him out a suite before, but that's not relevant), so we get some footage and take it back. Guess what? We can't actually see what they are doing. C and L have taken over the whole editing process.

Skip forward a week. Both C and L are off, so Sc and I can get in to see what they have done. Aside from saving it in the wrong place (took us about 30 minutes to find it, no joke), what they have is practically garbage. We have to set 1 part right because it looked as if they had just added it in because it was there. It was not suited to what was being said, and for a mockumentary about students not drinking enough alcohol, it was... Laughable, it couldn't be twisted well enough in order to serve our purpose. Again, I suggest scrapping it and starting over, but Sc insists it could work... Well, I may as well try if I can't get anyone to help me start over, so we do some minor edits, and it looks somewhat more presentable, but still garbage.

Anyway, another week forward (this Monday just past), C and L are back, they do some work, and at the end of the day they decide it is garbage and begin working on a script for a new one. Now we have 3 Mondays to complete it. This includes getting all the footage, and editing. I can only hope R lets us all work on it in the afternoons too, since we're going to need all the time possible.

More
13 years 9 months ago #21530 by Poledra1a
Replied by Poledra1a on topic Re:Depression/Stress
Kuroboshi - sounds like you need to smack some people. Gah. Good luck with that - hope your hard work gets you good marks and those idiots dont stuff it up for you!

Im contracted to a position until 24 December 2010, covering for a gal who's contract was for the same period of time. She has just been told that due to restructure her position no longer exists and she'll have to go back to her substantive; the position Im in. So this morning I got told that my contract could be terminated at any time with two weeks notice as soon as her contract is terminated.

This is on top of yesterday, at a \"family meeting\" we were told by Dad's GP that the potential for refeeding might not even be there as he has left it for two freakin weeks to do the referral to the surgeon and anethatist to do an assessment regarding a stomach peg.

My Dad had a heart attack on the 18 April. He was not breathing for about ten to twenty minutes, my mum and four other people resussitated him after he was found non responsive in their paddock next to the house. He was rushed 500kms to the nearest capital city, where four days later they told us he would not wake up and that they were going to remove his life support and feeding tubes with the expectation he would not last the weekend. A week after that we had him transferred to the local hospital here, where he not only woke up but started moving around. Hes even said a few words. We're now into week 7, he has had no food since that thursday as the drs kept telling us he was going to pass away. Two weeks ago the dr told us to make the desision again as to whether we wanted to refeed him and see how he recovers, or let him starve. Due to dads improvement physically and his repeated attempts to get out of bed, we decided to go ahead with refeeding and give him a chance at recovery. He seems to recognise our voices but were not entirely sure how much is going on in his mind. The Drs in the city didnt do much in the way of tests, so two weeks ago the Dr said he would look into treatments and such. He did not - and now we dont even know if it will be possible. So we were put through the whole desision making process again, got our hopes up and excited, to have it all hinge on whether an anethetist will take the risk of him dying on the table to put a stomach peg in - so dad can have food straight into his stomach. THey are worried about him aspirating on his food and swallowing it into his lungs. He isnt very cognative - as in we ask him to do things and he doesnt seem to register. But give him the face washer in the bath and he tries to wash himself. Hes pointed at the news paper and said \"paper\". hes trying to figure out how to get the bars down on the bed. he listens to conversations intently and pushes us out of the way if we block the tv.

But time is running out. 7 weeks with no food and now we have to wait and see what the surgeon says. This will be the third time we've had to face his very potential death. hes getting weaker by the day and theres nothing we can do - all because of a lazy dr whos written dad off. My sister has come home - two weeks now - not even been to see dad or even asking about him. She just sits on her computer all day leaching off my mum. Mum is also looking after my sisters 14 yr old son, and has just taken a redundancy package at her work so is now unemployed and has about two months to find another job before she gets into financial trouble.

Gah. Sorry about the essay; was doing \"okay\" until I found out about my job. It never rains but pours :S

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

More
13 years 9 months ago #21535 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Depression/Stress
Poledra1a -

Argh, I really understand the situation you're in. Not sure where you live, but I knew a woman who had a similar problem. Doctors kept telling her that her mother wouldn't survive. They refused to give her mother treatment for cancer and misdiagnosed her several times. I really dislike people in the medical profession at times. Most of us aren't trained medically so we have to take their word for it - But what happens when they're being ignorant or unfair? If your father's showing some signs of recovery against the odds, then surely even an idiot would realise he stands a fighting chance.

:( Sorry about your job. *Sends internet hugs and cute videos of kittens* >.< Uhh..Might work, might not.

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds