Show Navigation Menu

Birthdays

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30040 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Birthdays
@ Envy: The 18th birthday isn't anything special. Mostly people think it's something special and then they end up disappointed becasue nothing really special happens.

@ Madam_Mim: If I were you, I'd spend the money on myself and my family. :woohoo: I think 50 is still young and isn't really a big milestone in life. For the 60th birthday, I'd already think differently and maybe opt for a party or if I felt like travelling I'd go for spending the money on myself and family again. :silly: I somehow think 70 is really the big birthday that deserves a big party. 70 is a nice number. :P

@ scotiebee: Love your trip idea! :) Somehow this makes me sorry I didn't buy that cemetery calendar that I found today in the book store; totally random, sorry. :silly:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by black_magnolia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30055 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Birthdays
I think if you're going to make a big fuss out of your own birthday, then you should do it on the actual day. After all, people don't wait to celebrate other holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) until a more convenient time.

But that probably stems from years of people telling me that I should celebrate my birthday on New Year's Eve, even though that's not my birthday, damnit! It's been years since I bothered to do anything at all about it... my husband is forbidden to mention the \"b\" word, and I'll answer the phone when my mom calls, but not anyone else.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30061 by black_magnolia
Morgana wrote:

I think if you're going to make a big fuss out of your own birthday, then you should do it on the actual day. After all, people don't wait to celebrate other holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) until a more convenient time.

But that probably stems from years of people telling me that I should celebrate my birthday on New Year's Eve, even though that's not my birthday, damnit! It's been years since I bothered to do anything at all about it... my husband is forbidden to mention the \"b\" word, and I'll answer the phone when my mom calls, but not anyone else.

I agree with you! How come I didn't think of that example with christmas etc!? :P

I have never been told to celebrate my birthday on New Year's Eve and I bloody don't think about doing that ever. Celebrating a day or few later is ok, but in advance is a big no-no!
Morgana, hell, I don't know what is so bloody jinxed with that January 1st that it somehow brings more sorrow then joy... My sister's b-day is on December 30th, just 2 days \"earlier\" and she can celebrate it without restrictions or any problems imaginable...
Jan 1st is so frustrating. :(

And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30079 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re: Birthdays
black_magnolia wrote:

@ Madam_Mim: If I were in you, I'd spend the money on myself and my family. :woohoo: I think 50 is still young and isn't really a big milestone in life. For the 60th birthday, I'd already think differently and maybe opt for a party or if I felt like travelling I'd go for spending the money on myself and family again. :silly: I somehow think 70 is really the big birthday that deserves a big party. 70 is a nice number. :P

I'm inclined to agree with you, but in this country it's as if 50 year birthday is the big day of celebration, whether we like it or not :S
But I also think that the end of it all is, that we are going on a vacation - just the three of us - after all it is my birthday and my money ;)

Thanks for your input - it helps to make the decision even easier :kiss:

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30080 by black_magnolia
Madam_Mim wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you, but in this country it's as if 50 year birthday is the big day of celebration, whether we like it or not :S
But I also think that the end of it all is, that we are going on a vacation - just the three of us - after all it is my birthday and my money ;)

Thanks for your input - it helps to make the decision even easier :kiss:

Fortunately in my country it's not that way, at least I think so. :silly: My dad is turning 50 this year. His b-day is in October so there is still plenty of time till then, but as I know, no big party is going to be planed. My dad doesn't like parties and having to be in the centre of attention of one is pretty much a horror scenario for him. :silly:

Ugh, I hope I didn't omit or leave any words in my text like in the post you quoted. Damn it, I'll have to take more time for double-checking my posts before posting... :S

And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30099 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Birthdays
black_magnolia wrote:

Morgana wrote:

I agree with you! How come I didn't think of that example with christmas etc!? :P

I have never been told to celebrate my birthday on New Year's Eve and I bloody don't think about doing that ever. Celebrating a day or few later is ok, but in advance is a big no-no!
Morgana, hell, I don't know what is so bloody jinxed with that January 1st that it somehow brings more sorrow then joy... My sister's b-day is on December 30th, just 2 days \"earlier\" and she can celebrate it without restrictions or any problems imaginable...
Jan 1st is so frustrating. :(

People have always said that to me, when they find out my birthday is January 1... \"Oh, that's so cool, everyone is partying on your birthday!\" Well, no, they're not... everyone is hung over and cranky on my birthday!

Either that, or they ask if I was the first one born in my town that year, and then they don't know what to say when I tell them no I wasn't.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Morgana.

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds