Show Navigation Menu

Tattoos, piercings, body art...

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #39872 by black_magnolia
I'm not sure what kind of approach scarification artist have with old accidental scars. :unsure: Theoretically, I can see it being done to \"cover-up\" old scars, but wouldn't be surprised there was some challenge in that too. Not worried too much about the design limitations, but more about the scar tissue - which is problematical tissue in itself.

I have quite long stretch marks on my body from my growth spurts during puberty (being 6'0 tall has it's drawbacks), which are now old and white, not really noticeable at all, but it's still scar tissue.
I took that into consideration when I got my tattoos, didn't want to tattoo over stretch marks. But when my artist placed my spider tattoo, I didn't notice two of it's legs went over some stretch marks. Boy, I literally saw stars when he lined over that part. I know I was getting the tattoo in a sensitive area in the first place, and I have a high pain threshold, so it wasn't hard to sit through it, but I totally underestimated how sensitive scar tissue is in comparison to normal skin. And that's old scar tissue too! :S

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by black_magnolia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39873 by SkieShauphen
Ouch, sorry that had to happen. I'm having trouble imagining what that pain is like. Suppose I'll look into the challenges involved with scars over scars. If the only problem with scar tissue covered by tattoos is the higher levels of pain, I suppose that's a feasible alternative. Although, the topography of the scars would still exist through the ink...perhaps a creative way to use them in the art would suit...

Meaning comes from within.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39877 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Ouch! That doesn't sound to pleasant at all Magnolia.
When I went to get my eyebrow re-pierced, the piercer was a little hesitant at first because there was a little scar tissue from the previous piercing (thanks to an infection). Despite his warning I went through with it and it was actually less painful than when I had it done initially. It didn't swell either, which was a bonus. But that was a piercing, I'm sure tattooing over a scar would be a much different story. Not to mention having it peeled off for scarification... :S

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
9 years 10 months ago #39878 by black_magnolia
Yeah, doing anything over scar tissue is a gamble. Pain aside, you never know how the skin there will take and hold the ink etc. If I was doing anything big over scars, I'd do lots of research and find an excellent artist, also the older the scars are the better.

Covering over scars, it's almost the same principle as covering up an old tattoo, you got to make the design so that the eye is drawn away from the place you want to cover up. I'm sure a great artist could use the topography of a scar to incorporate it into some cool looking art.

At least the positive side with scars is that once they're healed, that's it. It's not a chronic condition you have to take care of. I've got keratosis pilaris (\"chicken skin\") on my arms and it's a pain in the ass - I wish I could cover it with a tattoo, but I can't because my KP is the inflammatory kind, so half the time my skin is inflamed there. When I'm wearing short-sleeves and my arms are having a bad day, I get people staring or asking stupid questions, like I'm sick or something. I'd rather wear a big ugly scar over my whole arm then have KP which doctors don't know the cause of.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39880 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Yes, one of my friends has KP on both her arms and legs and it really drives her up the wall because she loves showing her skin in the summer, but it doesn't look too great and she often gets weird looks from people. :(

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
9 years 9 months ago #39907 by SkieShauphen

Meaning comes from within.

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds