Show Navigation Menu

Child Names

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #33993 by Venom84
Replied by Venom84 on topic Re: Child Names
I have called my children Lee,Kye and Eva..there is no significance to my childrens names,other than my brothers name is lee....xx

Excuse me,was lee...typo..xx

I'm going to live my life the best i can and how i want to, and if no one likes it i don't care..Lifes too short..xx
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Venom84.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34002 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Child Names
Venom84 wrote:

I have called my children Lee,Kye and Eva..there is no significance to my childrens names,other than my brothers name is lee....xx

Excuse me,was lee...typo..xx

Ooh..How would you pronounce 'Kye'? Because my little brother's called Kai for short and that's how I would pronounce it..:P I see that name more and more often, though with lots of variations, e.g. the Welsh 'Cai'.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #34006 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Child Names
Envy wrote:

Though the talk of unfortunate names does make me think of something..In English at least, you often find surnames that could be first names as well..E.g. I know my first name, 'Kaye' is often a surname for some people. In situations like that, I can't understand why parents would name their child with a similar first name to their surname..E.g. David Davis or Stephen Stephens are two I've seen before. I just don't get it.

We have the same examples here. I don't find them too weird. I assume parents had just a really hard time choosing a name, so they decided to stick to something simple; or they didn't think about the surname at all but just liked that name as a name and there you go. :silly:

I find it more unusual when someone's surname is exactly spelled and pronounced like a name. Example, I saw \"Andrew\" as a surname which I found really odd because I associate it only as a first name, not a surname.

On another note - The English language has always been a bit annoying for me when it comes to the pronunciation - especially for names. We have it far easier here with every letter being a sound for itself so you don't have think how something is pronounced. :silly:

Btw. What's the deal with middle names? We don't have the tradition here and I always wondered \"why?\". :unsure: :woohoo:

I mean - here you can also meet people who have two first names (not more becasue our law only allows two words/names for first name and only two words for a surname), but they are usually regarded as one.
Example if someone is called \"Aleksandra-Maria Horvat\" then she'll always have to put down her whole name on exams etc.
I imagine you don't write your middle names every time you have to write your name somewhere. :unsure:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34008 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

I find it more unusual when someone's surname is exactly spelled and pronounced like a name. Example, I saw \"Andrew\" as a surname which I found really odd because I associate it only as a first name, not a surname.

:P Ah. Technically there could be a James James or a Kay Kay out there, but I haven't seen it yet. I'd find that equally as weird as the examples I gave before.

I'm not really sure why we have middle names - Some people don't, and usually only our first and last names are put on exam papers etc. It's very rarely you'll have to state your full name including the middles.

Sometimes the middle name is used as an alternative name. In my family, we switch to our middle names whenever we go to the US - It's just habit for us. I don't know how other people use their middle names and I doubt they switch when they go abroad like we do, but I know some people who don't like their first name will take their middle name instead.

:laugh: I've never heard of rules on names until now. I've known people that have had 5+ middle names, and in that family, it was because the names of all the mothers/grandmothers etc. would be placed as middle names for any new baby girls. That's probably the rule with quite a few families - That it's tradition for children to have a certain name because it belonged to an ancestor of some sort..

Which also reminds me of an old friend of mine - He adopted his middle name as his informal surname for everyday use..Though I can't remember why. I think it was a mixture of family dislike for their surname and tradition.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34011 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Child Names
Envy wrote:

Sometimes the middle name is used as an alternative name. In my family, we switch to our middle names whenever we go to the US - It's just habit for us. I don't know how other people use their middle names and I doubt they switch when they go abroad like we do, but I know some people who don't like their first name will take their middle name instead.

Yeah, I understand that option. Seems like a good thing to have a back-up name if you don't like your first name. :silly:

I have a friend who officially changed her first name becasue she didn't like the one her parents gave her. Her old name wasn't bad at all to begin with, but she just didn't like it so she changed it.

Oh, and please, explain how come your family switches to their middle names when you go abroad!? :side:
I never heard of such a thing! How peculiar! :woohoo: Although, I like the idea - if you already have a middle name, then why not use it. ;)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 9 months ago #34013 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Oh, and please, explain how come your family switches to their middle names when you go abroad!? :side:
I never heard of such a thing! How peculiar! :woohoo: Although, I like the idea - if you already have a middle name, then why not use it. ;)

Ohh it's just something strange that just occurred somehow. My mother originally had two names in China - One Chinese name and one English name (with the English essentially being a middle-name), but when she moved over to England, she added another English-English name to be used in England...So she has a total of 1 Chinese and 2 English names.

When I think about it, the above isn't that uncommon..My cousin also has a Chinese name and an English name to be used in China, and another English-English name to be used in England..Maybe it's just a trait for people born in China.

As for my brother and I - Our American side of the family views our middle names as our 'English' names, even though in England my brother and I use 'Kaye' and 'Kai' instead of our Chinese names in everyday life in England. :woohoo: They view our everyday name here as 'Chinese' as they're English names but based on our Chinese names (we never got separate ones as we were born in England) so they adopt our middle names as 'English' and use those..We were too young to really care when they decided that, so over time, we've just become 'Nicole' and 'Andrew' whilst in the US.

Weirdly enough, it's only my brother and I that switch names. My mother and my father get called by the English names they used in China. :blink:

It's pretty complex to explain out. Hope it makes sense. :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds