Show Navigation Menu

Child Names

More
12 years 9 months ago #33978 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Child Names
:P Ooh. That reminds me..A friend of mine has a family where all of the males have Latin-derived names. Teehee. I love that.

For any children I may possibly have - I'd definately choose Roman/Latin or maybe even Shakespearean names..Even though those are all pretty similar anyway.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #33981 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Child Names
I usually give up thinking about names when I think about having children one day.
When the time comes, I'll have enough of a headache with the choosing so why burden myself now when I don't even truly know if I'll have children at all (I'd like to, but you can't have a guarantee for that).

I know my mom had a hard time with her name. Her elementary teacher didn't like it (thought it was old-fashioned) so she just renamed her and everyone in school called her that till she went to high-school. I don't want that to happen to my kid and naturally my mom didn't want that for me or my sister either.

My mom wanted for us to have nice timeless-classic-international names. Names that weren't too common, but not uncommon either; international in the sense that they could fit in easily with other languages etc. Something that wouldn't have teasing potentiality and so on.

Really a lot of things to take into account if you think that way.

I also think that the meaning of a name can really have some impact in forming of an individual. Just look at Envy's earlier examples with her teachers... Just another thing to think about when choosing a name.

And generally I find it easier thinking about a name for a girl then a boy, so if I end up with a son I hope dad will have a name figured out or we'll be stuck at a dead end. :woohoo:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33982 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

And generally I find it easier thinking about a name for a girl then a boy, so if I end up with a son I hope dad will have a name figured out or we'll be stuck at a dead end. :woohoo:

:P I'm the complete opposite. Boy names I have no problem with making up. Girl names. Eeeh. I find it a lot harder.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33984 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re: Child Names
Do not forget that the name you chose, sometimes doesn't feel right for the child once it's born :side:

We had found a name if it was a girl, but no boy names.
We got a boy :laugh: ....... and on the way from the delivery room to the maternity ward, we agreed that he should be named Mika. - I'm not sure why we chose it. :unsure:
It is a very common name in Finland, but in Denmark there are not many called it, so we had to apply for permission to name him Mika. Which is somewhat odd, since it is a Christian name - Mika is the Scandinavian form of the prophet Micah.
Have we known it then it may well be we had chosen a different name, since none of us is special religious, but I'm still glad we did it - it suits him :kiss:

More
12 years 9 months ago #33985 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Child Names
Madam_Mim wrote:

Do not forget that the name you chose, sometimes doesn't feel right for the child once it's born :side:

That too! Really a lot of things to consider when you name a child. :woohoo:

Mika is a nice name. :)

I think it is good that countries have laws that regulate name-giving. Sometimes they can be too strict, but more often then not they help prevent parents giving really bad names to their children.

Oh, now I remember a famous local example from here which I absolutely adore. In Croatia we have the name \"Vesela\" which means \"cheerful\"; it's not a very common name but it's a proper Croatian/Slavic name. The true story is that a woman named Vesela married and took her husband's surname which is \"Lešina\" (meaning \"corpse\"). :woohoo: Now imagine being called Cheerful Corpse! :laugh:

(Oh, if it isn't too obvious - 'vesela' is an adjective in our language and 'lešina' is a noun; both are used like that in our language so both the name's meanings are plain obvious and you don't have to check the meaning especially if you know Croatian.)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 9 months ago #33989 by Envy
Hm - I don't think there are any laws in the UK for name-giving. As far as I'm aware of anyway. :S

Though the talk of unfortunate names does make me think of something..In English at least, you often find surnames that could be first names as well..E.g. I know my first name, 'Kaye' is often a surname for some people. In situations like that, I can't understand why parents would name their child with a similar first name to their surname..E.g. David Davis or Stephen Stephens are two I've seen before. I just don't get it. :pinch:

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds