Show Navigation Menu

Child Names

More
14 years 3 months ago #13520 by scootiebee
Re:Languages was created by scootiebee
Welsh is the same way, not pronounced the same as English. My daughter's middle name is Angharad (which is Welsh). It is pronounced Awn-HAW-red (that's the best I can do on describing the pronunciation without the upside-down e thingy). She still gets confused trying to spell it.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13552 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Languages
scootiebee wrote:

Welsh is the same way, not pronounced the same as English. My daughter's middle name is Angharad (which is Welsh). It is pronounced Awn-HAW-red (that's the best I can do on describing the pronunciation without the upside-down e thingy). She still gets confused trying to spell it.

That's a very unusual name... is your family heritage Welsh, or did you just like it? And I think I get the pronunciation.

I wish my mother had been a bit more imaginative when she named me. In school, and where ever I've worked, there's always been someone else with the same name.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13566 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Languages
Well, her first name is Lucy (after her great-grandmother), and Angharad is welsh for Anne (which is my middle name). We are part Welsh, and our last name is Welsh (Hughes).

More
14 years 2 months ago #13595 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Languages
CorpseQueen wrote:

Latin and other dead languages would be interesting to know tho, at least is you're gonna write fanatasy and such... always a fun way to spice it up, but latin is so common so I think I'd rather take a language like Gaelic (or just old Swedish! My boy's searching up names in it, and probably all our animals will be named after that kind of names... but it is real fun tho)

Ah! I plan on giving any future kids of mine Roman names..But I fear it would..For lack of a better term..'Screw their lives up' from day 1...'Marcus' and 'Caius' aren't that bad though, are they? I had worse planned for them, but was discouraged against being creative. :blink:

I recall that there was someone in the world who named their baby 'Version 1'..

More
14 years 2 months ago #13615 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:Languages
Oh unbelievable! Version 1! In the U.S. there are a bunch of little kids running around called ESPN (pronounced ES-pen), after the sports news channel. Ugh. And I like the Roman names. Very cool. Lucy used to be a common name here, and it is coming back into style, but it is hard on the kid right now. You go into a souvenir shop on holiday, and she wants a personalized souvenir, and they NEVER have Lucy anything (except at Kennedy Space Center, and the Smithsonian museums).

I used to work at a hospital, and one patient's first name was Loquacious, which means essentially \"talks too much\". Poor kid. And there is an OB/GYN doctor here in DC named Harry Beaver. I kid you not. Look him up. He is an excellent doctor, and probably chose his specialty based on his name.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13641 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Languages
scootiebee wrote:

Oh unbelievable! Version 1! In the U.S. there are a bunch of little kids running around called ESPN (pronounced ES-pen), after the sports news channel. Ugh. And I like the Roman names. Very cool. Lucy used to be a common name here, and it is coming back into style, but it is hard on the kid right now. You go into a souvenir shop on holiday, and she wants a personalized souvenir, and they NEVER have Lucy anything (except at Kennedy Space Center, and the Smithsonian museums).

I used to work at a hospital, and one patient's first name was Loquacious, which means essentially \"talks too much\". Poor kid. And there is an OB/GYN doctor here in DC named Harry Beaver. I kid you not. Look him up. He is an excellent doctor, and probably chose his specialty based on his name.

Ahh..Americans often have a variety of unusual names..But probably because there's a bigger population than in the UK, so it's inevitable the variety is larger. Never heard of ESPN until now. My auntie's a US pharmacist and she's told *many* tales of kids whose names she calls out incorrectly. One was 'Jesus'..No one told her it was pronounced 'hay-zu'. :P

My brother and I have never been able to get souvenirs with our names on..Kaye and Kaiman..Not the most common names. We usually opted for our middle-names, Nicole and Andrew, when we wished for souvenirs with our names on. Not that we're great fans of our middle names, mind you.

:woohoo: A lot of my teachers have pretty appropriate names for their subject specialities..Ms. Bell for music..Mr. Litt for English..Ms. Riches for economics... :P There's a weather-girl on TV every night called 'Sara Blizzard' as well. Teehee. Brilliant.

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds