Show Navigation Menu

Absinthe

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #2413 by knumpcy
Replied by knumpcy on topic Re:Absinthe
Zenith wrote:

Can anyone recommend me a good brand of absinthe? The best I have consumed so far is Pernod but what I usually find in bars and at stores isn't that great although it's a bit cheaper. I have to add extra anise to the absinthe I buy in the stores as it doesn't become \"louche\" after adding water to it.

Right now I am drinking this , it has a strong anise flavor and has a very high alcohol content the same as chartreuse. I would love to try this , but I am not willing to spend almost $75 US for that at this time.There is one out there to watch out for and tastes horrid, it has a beautiful green and white frosted bottle and has an alcohol content of 53% but taste like Old Spice cologne ugh!

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by knumpcy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7245 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Absinthe \"again\"...
Bonsoir sisters & brothers members of The Order Of Algoth,

Speak a bit of absinthe ...

Not the product but: What you know about it.
Because this drink has a reputation quite blurred and many legends about him.

Do you know any stories about absinthe and its effects?

Mes hommages.

T.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7249 by Aftermidnight
This is a good idea for a topic because I really want to know more about it, since I feel a bit ignorant about it, especially as it's supposed to be a really significant part of gothic culture.
I've never tried it and don't know anyone who has but I really want to try it :lol:

More
14 years 5 months ago #7254 by black_magnolia
I've tried it and I like it. Didn't have any side affects as some people describe. Some told me that from a lot of absinthe they get hallucinations, literally seeing the green fairy swirling in the glass, but I think you can get that also from generally too much alcohol in combination with having a lively imagination. Aside from that, I somewhere read that people used to mix Laudanum (opium tincture) with their absinthe to get hallucinatory dreams etc. In the 19th century Laudanum was easily available and was even cheaper then a bottle of gin, making it a working class drug.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7258 by anastasia13
I like it with the sugar and wormwood...the whole absinthe spoon with lighting on fire is great, but you don;t ahve to drink it that way. Some just throw it in there and stir...I love Jager so I love Absinthe...I always say if you love black licorice, (which I don't I just like rich alcohol), but you'd love this...

There were great writers and artists that were addicted to Absinthe in the past...Van Gogh, Edgar Allen Poe...even the great wine maker Chateau Bordeaux was hooked on it. Our literary and artistic world would be different without this drink and Laudenum..(sorry Laura I don't know how to spell it right).

Plus it is not the wormwood that so many suspected for the hallucinations of chasing the green fairy...the US just started selling it again after Lucid was our only Absinthe substitute for all these years. So many things have changed in my life time...I wonder if any writers are high writing books or artists drugged up anymore since the \"war on drugs\" plus societies castoffs of the now unpopular drug crowd...

Anastasia

Those who stand in white blessed light might not always be good, those who stand in the inky shadows of darkness might not always be evil.

More
14 years 5 months ago #7304 by TricksterShade
Vincent Van Gogh loved absinthe, Marilyn Manson loves absinthe also. Absinthe has a alcohol conc. that is very high, so it may seem like when we drink it we would attain extra abilities in art. I guess the alcohol may actually takes us to another perspective to see the world, or maybe the alcohol wake up the unconsciousness that lurk under our skin so we behave in a more artistic way :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.373 seconds