Show Navigation Menu

Eating Habits

More
13 years 2 months ago #29956 by nwbevk
Replied by nwbevk on topic Re: Eating Habits
Sadly furthest I've been from the US has been through Canada and one day in Mexico, which involved more drinking than food, so I never really knew that the food portions were different. Makes it kind of funny to me, here the portions are bigger and we have a rep. for being fat americans (what I hear both from out of country and in country), yet there's the fitness craze and the standard body size/shape image for someone to be attractive is lean and muscular... it really doesn't match or add up. I know everyone here is different and has their differnt styles and opinions on all of it, but just my observation makes the country look like one spiraling circle of hypocrocy. Now to find some middle ground, cause I love my food and don't want to get less of it, but I don't want to ever end up waddeling down the street either. Oooo look! Chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30047 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Eating Habits
I think the portion sizes tend to be about the same in Canada as in the US... it still seems like a lot to me though. My mom says when I was little I lived on air and peanut butter, and not a whole lot has changed.

I find it ironic that a society which is so obsessed with appearance and the \"ideal figure\" is also one in which you can get ridiculous amounts of food that are considered \"normal\" portions. Seems like people aren't getting the connection between what you eat and how you look/feel.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30065 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Eating Habits
Morgana wrote:

I find it ironic that a society which is so obsessed with appearance and the \"ideal figure\" is also one in which you can get ridiculous amounts of food that are considered \"normal\" portions. Seems like people aren't getting the connection between what you eat and how you look/feel.

Though to be fair, due to Americans (I haven't been around many Canadians/in Canada long so I can't judge) having such large portions - You all are a hell of a lot taller and larger built (as in bigger skeletal structures) than us Brits..But I guess it would come naturally. There's so much more space in the US to grow food etc..Even the houses and stores are more spread apart. You wouldn't dream of getting such planning permission in the UK. Our cars, houses, shops, spaces, everything = small.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30076 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Eating Habits
Envy wrote:

Morgana wrote:

Though to be fair, due to Americans (I haven't been around many Canadians/in Canada long so I can't judge) having such large portions - You all are a hell of a lot taller and larger built (as in bigger skeletal structures) than us Brits..But I guess it would come naturally. There's so much more space in the US to grow food etc..Even the houses and stores are more spread apart. You wouldn't dream of getting such planning permission in the UK. Our cars, houses, shops, spaces, everything = small.

I don't really think that Americans are that big in comparison to other nations.
I somewhat agree that more space brings it benefits, but not that much...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30082 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Eating Habits
black_magnolia wrote:

I don't really think that Americans are that big in comparison to other nations.
I somewhat agree that more space brings it benefits, but not that much...

Oh..I think there's a big difference. The clothing shows it for a start..A small in US sizing is massive. Even for my brother, who is normally a UK large or XL. But that's just how I see it..Everyone I see seems to be either a head taller and a bit more broad-shouldered than the typical UK male/female.

I get babied a lot as well in the US. Everyone presumes I'm 12-13 due to height and build (e.g. when we go to places and there are under 13s discounts) and I often end up chatting to kids I meet who are around the typical height for people my age in the UK and appear to look as mature, only to find they're actually 10-12 years old. :S They're pretty shocked to find out my age too.

I met one lot of siblings where I was happily talking to the younger brother and sister..Then we got on to the age talk and it turned out their older sister was my age. I thought she was 25+ due to her height and build. :huh:

More
13 years 2 months ago #30095 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Eating Habits
@ Envy:

Don't want to get too off-topic here, but I almost always guess the age of other people correctly, no matter which nationality they are. People make a big mistake when generalising others by their body mass and how they behave. Can't tell you what are the traits that I look for, it's maybe more a 6th sense thing.
I know people who are 10 years older then I am and behave so immature that I can get a headache and everybody guesses them younger! When I told them what I think they were shocked how accurate I was.
If you try to pay just a bit more attention to people, and let's say it like that - practice, then you'll maybe see a different side to size... :silly:

Regarding sizes, US sizes aren't anything bigger then German sizes for example. S, M, L, XL etc. are US sizes, UK sizes are 8, 10, 12, 14 etc. Gemran ones go 34, 36, 38, 40 etc.
Yes, sizing differ per country, but Italian and French sizes are in my opinion on the small side. UK is still on the big/normal side. Chinese and other Asian country sizes are very small in my opinion...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds