Show Navigation Menu

Eating Habits

More
13 years 2 months ago #29846 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Eating Habits
Lucien Lachance wrote:

In my country(Istra),when you enter the fishmarket,the fish that you are buying is not swimming like in China,but it is still breathing(its in the box with ice),and cancers are still walking in their boxes...mostly everything is still alive...

Lucien, come on, turn on your brain! The fish is in a box with ice! It defiantly isn't breathing and thus not alive! The only thing still alive that you can find in a fish market in Croatia are crabs and fresh water fish which is kept in tanks.

I generally think that people should eat more blue fish. It's healthier and in my opinion tastier. And there are a lot of blue fish species that are very easy to eat because they have few bones and some are so tiny that you can eat them with the bone without having to fear it getting stuck in your throat.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29848 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Eating Habits
What kind of fish do you mean by 'blue fish'?

Over here, they're trying to convince people to eat more 'oily fish', so generally the types that are tiny and full of bones. >.< Like anchovies..

Hm. Maybe Lucien Lachance is on about fresh fish that when only just put on ice, it's still twitching? Don't think it'd be put on ice completely alive, otherwise they'd be flipping around everywhere, so it's probably after-slaughter-twitch.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29861 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Eating Habits
Envy wrote:

What kind of fish do you mean by 'blue fish'?

Over here, they're trying to convince people to eat more 'oily fish', so generally the types that are tiny and full of bones. >.< Like anchovies..

Hm. Maybe Lucien Lachance is on about fresh fish that when only just put on ice, it's still twitching? Don't think it'd be put on ice completely alive, otherwise they'd be flipping around everywhere, so it's probably after-slaughter-twitch.

Yeah, I checked, I mean 'oily fish' which sounds a bit stupid to me because that type of fish has less fat then white fish. We call it blue fish, the other type is white fish here too.

Generally those small/tiny oily fish, like the Sardina pilchardus, have just the spine bone and are really easy to eat, so I don't know in which form can you possibly eat them to have problems with bones. :unsure:

Lucien surely isn't thinking about that, becasue when the fish arrive at the market they have been in those ice filled boxes for some time so they aren't twitching (mostly they are still very bent because of rigor mortis) and yes, they are put on that ice still alive (if they are still alive in the first place). There isn't any special slaughter method for most fish, you just get them out of the sea and they die because they can't breath outside of water. I know that you have to bleed out Tuna fish right when you get it out of the water because otherwise the meat won't be good...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29872 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Eating Habits
Hm. Interesting. I know for some fishing boats which fish for the UK, the fish are slaughtered en mass whilst still on the boat (watched that fish campaign thing and they showed footage of it - Real bloodbath) due to EU regulations/quotas on types or something..I can't quite remember.

With fish like pilchards, yes, there's a main spine thing that is easy to pick out, but there are tiny little bones all the way throughout the body too..Most people will just chomp those up whole because they break easy, but I won't go near them..I used to eat them, but ever since uhh my fish bone accident, I haven't dared to.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29875 by nwbevk
Replied by nwbevk on topic Re: Eating Habits
Best fishes are self or family caught (: No fresher than out at the lake, catch a nice rainbow trout, scale it and toss it on the grill. *droooolll* Or smelt, almost smelt season, catch a bucket load, I insist on having mine beheaded and gutted before they're flowered and fried in butter... crazy uncles don't bother beheading or gutting, ick. Also adore shell fish when I get the chance to eat them, best option for me being so far from ocean life is an hour over to the nearest Red Lobster resturant. Love my steaks and pizza and such, but if I had a choice I'd be in Red Lobster almost every day (not every day cause I'd hate to get tired of it)

More
13 years 2 months ago #29880 by iHauntTheSepulchre
My family is a huge fan of eating smoked rainbow trout and smoked eel - and yes we have tanks in which they are swimming around so you know they're fresh! But I have to agree with nwbevk, fish you've caught yourself are always the best. :)

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Time to create page: 0.314 seconds