Show Navigation Menu

Eating Habits

More
13 years 3 months ago #29827 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Eating Habits
Hm..I'll eat caviar, but ever since I had an accident with a fish bone, I haven't really eaten fish. Whenever I do, I'll chew it for aaages to be sure there are no bones, so most of the time I won't eat it due to the hassle. :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29832 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Eating Habits
Envy wrote:

Hm..I'll eat caviar, but ever since I had an accident with a fish bone, I haven't really eaten fish. Whenever I do, I'll chew it for aaages to be sure there are no bones, so most of the time I won't eat it due to the hassle. :huh:

Ah, bones. :( I always chew very carefully becasue I had a couple of bones stuck up my throat too, but that didn't make me avoid fish, just now I don't gulp it down before I'm not 100% sure there are no bones. :huh:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29834 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

Ah, bones. :( I always chew very carefully becasue I had a couple of bones stuck up my throat too, but that didn't make me avoid fish, just now I don't gulp it down before I'm not 100% sure there are no bones. :huh:

But don't you get extremely irritated at the length of time it takes to chew?

I chew to the point where the consistency becomes awful due to paranoia about bones, so I just can't bear to eat fish generally..

More
13 years 3 months ago #29837 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Eating Habits
Envy wrote:

But don't you get extremely irritated at the length of time it takes to chew?

I chew to the point where the consistency becomes awful due to paranoia about bones, so I just can't bear to eat fish generally..

I don't chew them into oblivion! :woohoo: I've had a lot of fish in my life so I'm pretty practised with picking the bones out before eating and I've got a good feeling when I have bones in my mouth and when not. Also just knowing which fish I'm eating makes stuff different. I know which species have a lot of mean bones and which not so I know how much I have to be cautious. I think with fish it really comes down to practice and experience.
I saw a lot of people massacre their fish on their plate to the degree that the little of bones the fish had were everywhere and made it even more tough to eat. :S I also met people that claim to be allergic to fish but in reality they just say that so that they don't have to pick out bones.

Don't know how fish is bought in other countries, but for example I know that in Germany mostly all fish are soled as fillets, rarely whole with head and everything. Here it's the other way around. I generally don't like the idea of buying fresh fillets becasue I can't see if they are fresh and some fish are very similar in taste and somewhat appearance but have different price tags and if they are fillets you can't really be sure which you got and if you got the cheap fish with the expensive price tag...
If they are frozen then I can assume they were freshly caught so I'm not that scared, but buying fresh fillet in some fish market is just not my thing with the exception if they fillet the fish in front of my eyes.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 3 months ago #29840 by Envy
Ah..It's a mix where I come from. In the supermarkets etc., it's all fillets. The supermarket butchers will have whole fresh fish on display, so you can buy it whole, but they will offer to fillet it for you as most English people prefer.

There's also a local market, which is like an old fashioned market where there are stalls and everyone yells at you the prices of what they're selling (few places in England have that from what I'm aware of) and there is a fish market section where whole fish is sold (again with the option to fillet but of course, we buy it whole as tons is wasted from asking for fillets).

:blink: In China, you can be sure the fish (or almost anything you buy really) is fresh, because you can see it live and swimming before you pick it out. Restaurants and markets. It's sort of nice - It means restaurants have massive tanks with huge fish swimmming around, so it makes a nice decoration as well as er. Food.

Hm. I know monkfish is basically boneless, so I'm quite happy to eat that.

Other fish..Eeeh..I'm surprised so few English people eat monkfish, because there are practically no bones, just the one big one. Maybe it's because monkfish are ugly..English people seem to be veery picky about looks. The whole EU is actually, when I think about it (arguments about bent bananas and bent long beans being rejected from EU stocks comes to mind).

There's a fish campaign thing going on at the moment where celebrity chefs are campaigning to get people to eat more of the smaller fish with bones and less of the white-meat fish like cod..It's a nice idea and I will eat a variety of seafood etc.. but only the varieties where there are big bones and no little ones.

More
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #29843 by Lucien Lachance
Replied by Lucien Lachance on topic Re: Eating Habits
I agree with you,Japan and China deffinitivelly have allways only fresh fish on the market,but things here are very smilar!
In my country(Istra),when you enter the fishmarket,the fish that you are buying is not swimming like in China,but it is still breathing(its in the box with ice),and cancers are still walking in their boxes...mostly everything is still alive...
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Lucien Lachance. Reason: example...

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds