Show Navigation Menu

Eating Habits

More
13 years 6 months ago #25506 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Eating Habits
black_magnolia wrote:

Thanks for the info, Envy! :) By the ingredients I'd also say it's more of a soup then tea. I wish we had a good supplier of 'exotic' groceries here. Always when I stumble upon a yumy Chinese recipe I have to give up from cooking it because I can't find some of the ingredients. :(

Oh I understand. It's very difficult to get hold of some of those, especially being so far away from China. Usually, we have to either get lucky at a Chinese supermarket or wait until a relative makes a trip to Hong Kong and back.

I think there's a Chinese herbal remedy shop in town too..But I seem to recall that they sell pre-made herbal remedies as opposed to ingredients for soups. Couldn't imagine them selling much if they sold ingredients here anyway, many are put off by how most ingredients look and smell.

:woohoo: Not that they smell/look bad or anything, they just look a bit quirky and have a certain dried-fruit/veg-and-root-scent.

:P I got used to eating in history lessons last year, because they happened to be when I got my 11am food cravings and my teacher at the time didn't mind me eating as he knew I worked hard.

Current teacher - Nuh uh. She's very, very strict on people paying attention etc..You can't even talk about the topic at hand unless she permits you to. I end up rushing to try and eat whenever she pops out of the classroom to print things etc. :S It's screwing up my bodyclock..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25524 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Eating Habits
Here it's a no-no to eat or drink during lessons. With the less strict teachers we would usually sneakingly try to eat/drink something, but that was really rarely...
Now at uni, the professors are ok with water bottles or coffee cups on the tables, but eating isn't really allowed so we also sneak it in... XD

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25530 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Here it's a no-no to eat or drink during lessons. With the less strict teachers we would usually sneakingly try to eat/drink something, but that was really rarely...
Now at uni, the professors are ok with water bottles or coffee cups on the tables, but eating isn't really allowed so we also sneak it in... XD

Oh, it's the same here. It's just that I'm a real teacher's pet and I know which teachers will let me get away with things. :S Also lucky that I'm decently good friends with everyone in history, so none of them complained - I became notorious for making rustling noises when taking out a homemade wrap during history, haha! They were brilliant..Could eat with food in one hand and pen to write with in the other. :silly: People got so used to my rustling that everytime I go to take out a packet of tissues or something, they assume I'm eating.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25542 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Replied by iHauntTheSepulchre on topic Re:Eating Habits
Here in Australia, water bottles in class, especially in the Summer are encouraged. As for food, it depends on the teacher, but usually it's okay to have a quick snack before each class starts.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25551 by Envy
iHauntTheSepulchre wrote:

Here in Australia, water bottles in class, especially in the Summer are encouraged. As for food, it depends on the teacher, but usually it's okay to have a quick snack before each class starts.

They've recently allowed water bottles in class here (here as in my college, the rest of English colleges probably have more sense to begin with). Before, you weren't allowed any food or drinks, but then the teachers realised that the temperatures are generally extreme in classrooms. In the winter, the heating never works, so it's freezing, and in the summer, the heating is on for some unknown reason, so everyone just dehydrates and it's a health risk, particularly in the computer classrooms where the computers add to the heat.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25703 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Eating Habits
I bought a new (to me, at least) product the other day, called quinoa. It's a grain, and is apparently quite similar to rice, although it's higher in protein and fiber than rice is. It's cooked pretty much the same way, except you have to rinse it really well before cooking it. I only bought a small amount, since it was a bit expensive, but hopefully it'll be good.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Morgana.

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds