Show Navigation Menu

Eating Habits

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25402 by Envy
Eating Habits was created by Envy
:P Just curious. Being Cantonese and brought up in a relevant manner, I don't even know what the typical English family would eat, let alone what others in the world would eat for dinner.

Tonight..I had a homemade chicken teriyaki + salad brown bread sandwich.

^.^

What did you have?
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by black_magnolia. Reason: changed title

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25408 by millkins
OU! that sounds like a nice dinner, we forget about dinner here, since we have lunch around 7pm dinner would be some sweets or maybe some *bad for your health* snacks or when we are really hungry a sandwich with whatever :D

I can't swim. I can't drive, either. I was going to learn to drive but then I thought, well, what if I crash into a lake?

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25410 by black_magnolia
hmmm... Maybe the topic should be better labelled \"eating habits\"?

Well, there is a difference with what do people mean under dinner.
Do you think about dinner as the main meal of the day or just the last snack in the evening?
So, there are three main meals in a day: breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Here people generally skip breakfast, but I think that it's not much different in the rest of the world - it's just a really bad habit.
In the past I usually also skipped it, but I forced myself to change that and after a couple of days it is easy. I often hear people say that they just can't eat anything in the morning, that they aren't hungry, but it's just a habit and habits can be changed.
Lunch here is usually eaten between 12h and 14h, but most people work till 15-17, so they have lunch when they get home. These a bit later hours, make it questionable if it's dinner or still lunch, but a lot of people still say it's lunch.
Dinner is eaten around 19 to 20h, and it's really not a big meal, more like a snack, well, at least it should be.

I had an apple and strawberry yoghurt for dinner; for lunch it was chicken soup and breaded eggplant with low fat sour cream.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by black_magnolia.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25414 by iHauntTheSepulchre
I had leftover chips from lunchtime...all the fish had mysteriously vanised...I blame my dad.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 6 months ago #25416 by Envy
:P Oh..I find that unusual. I was referring to the last meal of the day, but I guess if something like lunch is your main meal, then the thread could be renamed to 'What did you eat today?/Eating habits.' :unsure:

Here, the eating times are the same, but the last meal (dinner at 19h-20h)is quite large (well..No meal is ever *large* here, but it's more than just a snack), sometimes even followed by some kind of small pudding at the end.

I think..Some English people have varied times for children to eat as well..I know that some children will have 'tea' which is basically dinner but at 1600, before they head off to bed at 1900.

The habit of skipping breakfast isn't actually that common here, but it used to be. There's a huge 'healthy eating' thing going around, so the majority of people will eat something small for breakfast, maybe a snack bar or something just to get the metabolism going.

Seem to recall there was a successful TV ad that stated breakfast is good for dieting and suddenly loads of people decided breakfast was super-important. :woohoo:

Personally..I eat once every 4h or so if possible, but during college hours, I eat something small at 9am, 11am, 4pm and then dinner (largest meal) at 7-8pm.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25420 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re:Eating Habits
Today we are having pork chops in dish with tomatoes, onions and mushrooms served with brown or red rice.
And at this time of year we usually eat dinner at seven o'clock - in the summer it may well be nine or ten o'clock before we get any dinner.

Time to create page: 0.326 seconds