Show Navigation Menu

Your Creativity

More
12 years 6 months ago #35104 by ImmortalRosencroix
Alrighty then. I officially made an account at booksie.com. All my work is under the same username that I have here. Please feel free to check it out.
www.booksie.com/Immortal_Rosencroix

"Stulum est timere quod vitare non potes" - It is foolish to fear what you cannot avoid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #35111 by DarkFlights
Replied by DarkFlights on topic Re: Your Creativity
Ooh, I fopund something else I made while rummaging today - I thought maybe making these items into jewellery too, but not entirely sure how to do it. They're clear resin, into which I embedded bits of taratnula and scorpion moults (no animals were harmed!).

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by DarkFlights.

More
12 years 6 months ago #35113 by janelle hell
Replied by janelle hell on topic Re: Your Creativity
DarkFlights wrote:

Ooh, I fopund something else I made while rummaging today - I thought maybe making these items into jewellery too, but not entirely sure how to do it. They're clear resin, into which I embedded bits of taratnula and scorpion moults (no animals were harmed!).

Those are SO. COOL.!

Were they difficult to make? I've been wanting to learn to work with resin, but am kind of intimidated by all the chemicals/broken glass. Are the animal pieces from your pets or just ones you've found around?

More
12 years 6 months ago #35115 by DarkFlights
Replied by DarkFlights on topic Re: Your Creativity
Oh resin's quite easy, you can buy kits and get instructions, but the stuff I use is so simple; get a couple of plastic containers and a plastic mixing bowl, and measure the required amounts of resin and hardener/catalyst (usually something like 2% hardener by volume, but you don't have to be terribly precise - too much hardener will simply make it harden quicker, better too much than not enough). I buy from a British company called ABL Stevens, they have instructions on use on their website.

The tarantula parts are ocasionally from my own small collection, but I get invertebrate owners to send me their moults for the cost of postage, and a local exotic pet shop saves theirs for me too. I have loads right now! I have to wear gloves when handling the moults due to the urticating hairs that some species of tarantula have, but once embedded they aren't a problem, as they can't touch your skin. I have some theraphosa blondi (goliath bird-eater) tarantula moults that are huge, I'm going to see if I can make them into large paperweights. :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #35116 by janelle hell
Replied by janelle hell on topic Re: Your Creativity
Good to know...I'll have to check out that website. I'd love to be able to make some resin items; I saw a super-cool set of drawer pulls that had bird skulls imbedded in them, but they were like $300 :S

How awesome that you're able to obtain so many animal parts, especially with no harm coming to the animals!

More
12 years 6 months ago #35121 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Your Creativity
DarkFlights, those are awesome! I think you would just need some frame for the resin and it would easily turn into a pendant.

Here is an example of an Alchemy pendant:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds