Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 6 months ago #25771 by black_magnolia
gaelquereth wrote:

Yesterday, a 41-year-old woman who conspired to murder her husband and stepson was executed in the US state of Virginia. She used sex and cash to persuade hitmen to kill her family in 2002. She was the first woman to be put to death in the US for five years and in Virginia since 1912.

I've heard that one! I think the reporter said something like she had a really low IQ, even lightly demented, so that was like one of the reasons a lot of people protested against her execution...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25772 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

gaelquereth wrote:

Yesterday, a 41-year-old woman who conspired to murder her husband and stepson was executed in the US state of Virginia. She used sex and cash to persuade hitmen to kill her family in 2002. She was the first woman to be put to death in the US for five years and in Virginia since 1912.

I've heard that one! I think the reporter said something like she had a really low IQ, even lightly demented, so that was like one of the reasons a lot of people protested against her execution...

Aah! I didn't hear about the mentality side of it, but this topic did appear in class when we started discussing about the role of women in society and how it seems (in our society at least) a lot more of a 'big deal' when a woman commits a crime, as compared to a man.

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #26309 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
It was like living in a horror story today. Few dared to venture into the city because of this:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/80...st-in-Leicester.html

The first picture on that article looks creepily like people saluting Hitler, which makes it look even worse.

Shops in the city were boarded up for safety..Petrol bombs, bricks and coins were thrown..The few shops that refused to board up probably regretted it - I heard via Facebook that Primark was completely wrecked.

It's just disgusting that they chose our city to protest..They've done nothing but make life more difficult for people here by messing up the city..
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by Envy.

More
13 years 5 months ago #26376 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re: What's in the news?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11525031

This was brought to my attention today.

Personally? I think it's wrong. Students themselves are amongst the poorest because of fees and such, in fact, some of us rely on loans simply to get through Uni, unless we have parents who can afford the costs.

What's worse about all this is the man who endorses them? He signed a pledge to oppose tuition fees. That's got a few students rather peeved.

Not looking forward to what it may cost for me to go to Uni in England if I choose to.

More
13 years 5 months ago #26377 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Absolutely pissed off at the prospect of 12k p/a university course fees. That's bloody 4x the old p/a fee..Which is basically the old cost of a whole 4-year course in one year!

Not only that..It doesn't take a genius to get into the top 5% wage bracket in England! Seem to recall the top 5% wage earners started at 40-60k p/a or so..And they're proposing graduate taxes on highest earners?

Why are hard workers ALWAYS penalised for doing well in this damn system?!

More
13 years 5 months ago #26419 by black_magnolia
The Chilean miners are being rescued today. I think the rescuing is still going on, but most of them are already on the earth surface.
I'm glad that sometimes people have such luck. I know it was planned that they will be able to rescue them somewhere around Christmas but everything went so smooth that they made it a lot sooner.
I love happy ends. :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds