Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 6 months ago #25319 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:What's in the news?
Madam_Mim wrote:

It's illegal here in Denmark as well, personally, I think it's a good idea.
But who should perform it? Doctors, nurses or family? Because it is a big responsibility to put on another human being – to take a life...

I think the rules for it should be similar to the rules that professionals have regarding pulling the plug on life support machines.

As far as I'm aware, current UK rules on pulling the plug on life support machines is that it's not the family's decision as to whether their relative lives or dies, but that it's the family's input which decides whether the person in question would have wanted to live life this way or not, e.g. in cases where the person is not able to move at all and cannot answer this question for themselves. If the family says that they definately knew that the person in question would not have wanted a life such as one where they rely on life support (either through being sporty in life or whether they voiced their opinions whilst still able to for example), then the doctors would be willing to pull the plug.

Similar rules would work well with assisted suicide in my opinion..E.g. a severely disabled person who is not on life support but could understand the implications of their answers and therefore is able to answer for themselves should be given the choice as to whether or not they want to continue living their lives.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25327 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re:What's in the news?
Envy wrote:

Madam_Mim wrote:

It's illegal here in Denmark as well, personally, I think it's a good idea.
But who should perform it? Doctors, nurses or family? Because it is a big responsibility to put on another human being – to take a life...

I think the rules for it should be similar to the rules that professionals have regarding pulling the plug on life support machines.

As far as I'm aware, current UK rules on pulling the plug on life support machines is that it's not the family's decision as to whether their relative lives or dies, but that it's the family's input which decides whether the person in question would have wanted to live life this way or not, e.g. in cases where the person is not able to move at all and cannot answer this question for themselves. If the family says that they definately knew that the person in question would not have wanted a life such as one where they rely on life support (either through being sporty in life or whether they voiced their opinions whilst still able to for example), then the doctors would be willing to pull the plug.

Similar rules would work well with assisted suicide in my opinion..E.g. a severely disabled person who is not on life support but could understand the implications of their answers and therefore is able to answer for themselves should be given the choice as to whether or not they want to continue living their lives.

I agree. Here in Denmark, we have the opportunity to say no to life-prolonging treatment before we get ill and it will be registered in a central database so that all our hospitals can see it, so it must be a matter of getting all adults to decide whether they want to be kept alive no matter what.
Thus the decision not to be taken by the relatives.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25331 by black_magnolia
Here this whole subject is still not really organised.
I think it would really be the best that every person decides about it before they even get into a situation where they couldn't show their decision.
I'd also say it's something similar to the decision of organ donations. A lot of families can't give the yes for organ donations of a deceased family member, which is a shame...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25344 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:What's in the news?
I'm pretty sure we have something similar in Canada, to what Madam_Mim mentioned, called a \"living will\" (I'm not entirely sure, as I've never really investigated the details). But I think it's a legally binding document, that you would sign prior to illness, accident, etc., that would outline what you want done in case you are no longer able to communicate. You can say whether you'd want to be kept on life-support or allowed to just expire naturally, so it takes the decision off of the shoulders of your doctor and/or family members, and also avoids arguments amongst the family as to what you would really want. It doesn't cover assisted suicide though, where action would actually have to be taken to end your life.

More
13 years 6 months ago #25351 by Envy
Hmm..There would be another point I'd think of.

A person may say, prior to any illness etc. that they wouldn't want to live using a life support machine, however, what if the said person changes their mind once they find themselves in that situation and is unable to communicate their wishes?

I would think that a lot of people would assume they 'couldn't live life a certain way' until they find themselves in that situation, when suddenly, it doesn't seem so bad? But maybe that's just for smaller cases - I'm currently thinking of people who have lost limbs etc. and I'm not so sure it might apply to serious cases e.g. life support machine ones..

Hmm. It's something to think about anyway.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25588 by Envy
*Bump*

Here's an interesting article I saw today. I wonder if the woman was on to something. The title caught my eye. :P

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11401167

('Courgette' appears to be 'zucchini' in American terms..Just noticed that when I saw American versions of the same story.)
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Envy.

Time to create page: 0.373 seconds