Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
13 years 7 months ago #25135 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:What's in the news?
They've started a series of discussions in Canada, to find out people's opinion on assisted suicide. It's illegal here at the moment, and not likely to change just from these discussions, but it could be a start.

Personally, I think it's a good idea. If someone is suffering horribly and has no chance of recovery, then I don't see why they should be forced to keep \"living\" if there's a humane way to end their suffering. On the other hand, the people opposed to it say that, if legalized, it could be used to get rid of mental patients, old people with no families around... basically anyone who might be considered a \"drain\" on medical resources.

I think it's a bit like the abortion debate though... compelling arguments on both sides, but really should be considered on a case by case basis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25136 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:What's in the news?
Morgana wrote:

I think it's a bit like the abortion debate though... compelling arguments on both sides, but really should be considered on a case by case basis.

Agreed..I reckon in the end, it should be legalised. It's illegal in the UK as well. I'm reminded of one case though, where a man and his wife went off to Sweden to die together - The man was terminally ill, but the wife was perfectly healthy. Might've been the other way around, I can't remember. I just recall fears of 'suicide pacts' in the media.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25148 by black_magnolia
It's also illegal in Croatia. I think it should be legalised, naturally finding a good way to be sure that this won't get abused... I just think how easy people euthanize animals when they are suffering and nobody thinks it would also be humane to euthanize a human if they are in so much pain. Yeah, I know that people aren't the same as animals, but frankly, we're not meant to live forever and if I had to choose I'd rather die then be a plant getting \"watered\" with morphine to dull the pain... It's just a question of quality of life...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25155 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:What's in the news?
I think there have been a few cases of Canadians going off to Sweden, or other places where it's legal, for assisted suicide. And I think that's why the government has started this series of debates.

I think the hardest part would be making sure that it won't be abused, likely with reams and reams of legal forms to be signed. But you really couldn't be too careful in this situation. And it's true, we think it's the \"kindest thing\" when it comes to animals, but as a society in general, are horrified when it's mentioned in connection with humans.

More
13 years 7 months ago #25168 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:What's in the news?
Personally, I'd only agree in the most extreme cases. Don't make it too easy to obtain and make sure the person is in the right mindset in order to go through with it. If someone's in a state where there is no chance of recovery then perhaps it should be allowed. Of course, there's also the effects it would have on the family of the one who is choosing to do this...

More
13 years 7 months ago #25315 by Madam_Mim
Replied by Madam_Mim on topic Re:What's in the news?
It's illegal here in Denmark as well, personally, I think it's a good idea.
But who should perform it? Doctors, nurses or family? Because it is a big responsibility to put on another human being – to take a life...

Time to create page: 0.319 seconds