Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
12 years 5 months ago #35933 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
black_magnolia wrote:

I heard about Gadafi too, but it wasn't very featured in the news in my opinion. Mostly they just announced that he was killed, showed a photo of his dead body and said a couple of sentences how the people in Lybia are celebrating. Not really big news as you would expect.

Oh that's surprising..

It's on the front cover of every paper here, but no one seems to care that much. Maybe it's just because I'm surrounded by students.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #35943 by firensia
Replied by firensia on topic Re: What's in the news?
It's all over the news here. They spoke of the effects in Libya and the effects here (still not sure what those are). Power truly does corrupt people. If he had just surrendered when people started rebelling, he might have survived but these dictators all think they're untouchable.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by firensia.

More
12 years 5 months ago #35968 by notice_the_blinking
firensia wrote:

Power truly does corrupt people. ... these dictators all think they're untouchable.

Amen, tell me about it man!

Through the darkness of future past;
The magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds:
Fire walk with me

More
12 years 5 months ago #36110 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: What's in the news?
Has anyone been following the Occupy Wall Street protests? They've spread to several cities now, as you may know, including Halifax.

The problem with the one in Halifax, is that they're occuping the Grand Parade downtown, which is where the city's main cenotaph is, and Remembrance Day ceremonies are held. City officials here have been quite supportive of them so far, at least as far as I know. However, our mayor sent a very nice letter to the group, telling them to vacate by this weekend so that preparations can be made for November 11. He also said that they're more than welcome to move to the Commons, which is a large, grassy open area not too far from where they are now.

The problem (and yes I do think it's a problem!) is that they say they won't go. What they don't seem to realize, or care about, is that Remembrance Day is to honour those who gave their lives, or worse, so that people would have the freedom to organize groups and protests like this. Hopefully they'll have enough decency and respect to clear out in time for the veterans to have their day...

More
12 years 5 months ago #36115 by black_magnolia
Morgana wrote:

Has anyone been following the Occupy Wall Street protests? They've spread to several cities now, as you may know, including Halifax.

The problem with the one in Halifax, is that they're occuping the Grand Parade downtown, which is where the city's main cenotaph is, and Remembrance Day ceremonies are held. City officials here have been quite supportive of them so far, at least as far as I know. However, our mayor sent a very nice letter to the group, telling them to vacate by this weekend so that preparations can be made for November 11. He also said that they're more than welcome to move to the Commons, which is a large, grassy open area not too far from where they are now.

The problem (and yes I do think it's a problem!) is that they say they won't go. What they don't seem to realize, or care about, is that Remembrance Day is to honour those who gave their lives, or worse, so that people would have the freedom to organize groups and protests like this. Hopefully they'll have enough decency and respect to clear out in time for the veterans to have their day...

Ah... We had such protests too. The majority of these people don't have any clue why they are protesting. In essence they are protesting just to protest, which is stupid in my opinion. :pinch:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 5 months ago #36125 by firensia
Replied by firensia on topic Re: What's in the news?
Yes, we have them here too. They're living in these \"Tent Cities\". I think most people are just using it as an excuse to camp out. Pity, because it takes money to police the area. And no, no one knows what they are protesting.

Amor vincit omnia et nos cedamus amori

Time to create page: 0.395 seconds