Show Navigation Menu

The Victorian Era

More
14 years 2 months ago #13337 by Highwayman
Replied by Highwayman on topic Re:The Victorian Era
I think the Victorian Era is really cool.

Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13340 by Kitessa76
Replied by Kitessa76 on topic Re:The Victorian Era
I tend to over Romanticise the era a little, and look at only the good and not the more realistic aspects.

I love the fashion, I love the charming, polite gentlemenly behaviour in the game of courtship, and I love the feeling that I have that life back then was a little slower.

That said, I tremble at the medical solutions they employed, the role of women in society, that certain topics were taboo and thus many people were left in ignorance, and I wonder what went on behind closed doors in some marriages. Everyone had to put on a polite face in public, never showing too much emotion and always being controlled in themselves. One would never know if a wife (or husband) was being beaten regularly, sexual abuse of children would have gone by unnoticed. And a whole host of other issues.

But, being the hopeless romantic that I am, I choose to ignore those aspects of the era, and just enjoy what I enjoy about it :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #13347 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:The Victorian Era
I absolutely adore the fashion and have something of a love affair with corsets. The ettiquette of the time is something I aspire to as well. But I don't think I'd be able to handle living in a time when women were so repressed. I'd go crazy if I couldn't speak my mind on any given topic or do as I pleased . . .

More
14 years 2 months ago #13355 by vampirelycanthrope13
I love the fashion and fiction about this era, i also love all the steampunk stuff(that is victorian inspired), the history is fascinating, with the industrial revolution and the rise and inevitable fall of the empire happening around at that time.(i know that the british empire didn't officially end until after the victorian era, but i'm pretty sure it's strength must have peaked and at least started it's decline at in that era-however i'm not a historian) But I wouldn't have liked to have lived in that era due to all the poverty and some of the social things at the time.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13356 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:The Victorian Era
I LOVE Victorian clothing!

Especially the Elegant Gothic Lolita dresses that have been inspired by it. They're Victorianesque, yet adorable. :P I think most on this forum are avid corset lovers?

I don't think I'd mind living back in those days. But I'd probably need to change the colour of my skin and I'd just have to be upper class - Otherwise I'd probably be dead before I reached the age I am now. :blink:

More
14 years 2 months ago #13368 by Daruma
Replied by Daruma on topic Re:The Victorian Era
personaly i like that.
but not the underwear... :P

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds