Show Navigation Menu

The Victorian Era

More
14 years 2 months ago #13435 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:The Victorian Era
scootiebee wrote:

I am used to corsets, and they are more comfortable than not having them (except in an airplane, which I discovered last week). See some of my Victorian style clothes on Jeopardy on April 2! End self-promotion here...

I wore a push-up bra on a plane once... bad idea! On take-off, it felt like someone was pushing down on my sternum with a pool-cue. Very painful, but at least it stopped once we reached cruising altitude.

I think the Victorian era would have been a wonderful time to be alive. Provided you were male, and of the aristocracy, that is. Anyone who was female and/or poor probably led a very miserable, short life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13437 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:The Victorian Era
Morgana wrote:

I wore a push-up bra on a plane once... bad idea! On take-off, it felt like someone was pushing down on my sternum with a pool-cue. Very painful, but at least it stopped once we reached cruising altitude.

I think the Victorian era would have been a wonderful time to be alive. Provided you were male, and of the aristocracy, that is. Anyone who was female and/or poor probably led a very miserable, short life.

:ohmy: Never tried corsets/push-up bras on planes..Will make a mental note not to do so!

And - Agreed on the comment about the Victorian era. Females of the aristocracy don't appear to have things *too* badly..I think.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13464 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:The Victorian Era
I am fine with the push-up bra on a plane. But it was the steel boning digging into my ribs because you have to really sit up straight in a corset, and it is impossible to sit up straight in an airplane seat. They are designed for slouching down over a long flight, not for sitting ramrod straight. I had to take the thing off, and was quite the attraction by the restrooms at the back of the plane about a half hour before landing, putting it back on. People were impressed I could lace myself up in a bouncy plane like that! :)

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13482 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:The Victorian Era
scootiebee wrote:

I am fine with the push-up bra on a plane. But it was the steel boning digging into my ribs because you have to really sit up straight in a corset, and it is impossible to sit up straight in an airplane seat. They are designed for slouching down over a long flight, not for sitting ramrod straight. I had to take the thing off, and was quite the attraction by the restrooms at the back of the plane about a half hour before landing, putting it back on. People were impressed I could lace myself up in a bouncy plane like that! :)

Teehee. Took me a fair while to learn to lace myself up..Don't know if I could manage it on a plane though. I'm quite clumsy. :S

More
14 years 2 months ago #13497 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:The Victorian Era
I hadn't thought of the steel boning. I have some corset-style tops, but not a proper one with the boning. I should look for some though... I've noticed my posture suffering a bit lately.

More
14 years 2 months ago #13515 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:The Victorian Era
If you're thinking of going for a corset with steel boning, I might suggest either trying one that's only boned in a few places or one that you can start with quite loose. These corsets can be quite uncomfortable at first and I found that it helped to ease myself into it a bit. I'd wear the corset around the house doing normal, everyday things to get used to it and slowly tightened it over time. It's not nearly so painful that way. Kind of makes you wonder how the ladies managed it back in those victorian days . . .

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds