Sweets

More
13 years 1 month ago #31542 by ondespumeggianti
Replied by ondespumeggianti on topic Re: Sweets
:ohmy:
sorry!!:D
ahaha, i don't know every translation for the cakes!!:D
ahaha, Magnolia, you are a very good translator!;D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 month ago #31569 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Sweets
Do you guys have Pancake Day where you are?

:P Pancake Day for us anyway. Everyone's been talking about pancakes all day (English kind, more like the French crepe)..We had pancake races and all sorts..

I craved them so much that I pretty much ran home and tried to make them. I've neeeever made pancakes before and had no idea where to start, so I made up a recipe just by guessing and things turned out pretty damn well haha. (Apart from getting pancake mixture in my hair, down my top, over the kitchen worktops..)

:woohoo: My first pancake came out awfully - I used too much butter in the pan and it came out sort of like..A fried, buttery lump of mess. My second one came out well though. ^.^ And after that, I figured out what it took to make a good pancake and I was able to flip my 3rd one!

Hehe. I feel accomplished today.

More
13 years 1 month ago #31587 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Sweets
Envy wrote:

:silly: Didn't know it even existed and that somebody could make such a big fuss about it.
Do you have it every year on the same date?

I did notice some of my UK friends had pancake related statuses on facebook, so it made me hungry for some pancakes too. :blush:

In Croatia pancakes are also like crepes, not like the American pancakes...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 1 month ago #31590 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

:silly: Didn't know it even existed and that somebody could make such a big fuss about it.
Do you have it every year on the same date?

I did notice some of my UK friends had pancake related statuses on facebook, so it made me hungry for some pancakes too. :blush:

In Croatia pancakes are also like crepes, not like the American pancakes...

:P Ah. Pancake Day/'Shrove Tuesday' is the day before Lent starts or the first day of Lent..I can't remember..(where you give up something usually food related for 40 days I think?).

I figured that other countries probably didn't have Christian holidays still around, but I was just curious. None of my friends are Christian, but we all love any excuse for pancakes.

It's on a different date every year (which is why I have to be told to remember it's Pancake Day) but I'm not sure how it's calculated. Wikipedia just says the \"Tuesday in seventh week before Easter\".

More
13 years 1 month ago #31594 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Sweets
:ohmy: It's tied to lent!? Never would have thought that!
Most of the population of Croatia are declared Christians and lent is a big deal to some, but pancakes were never a part of it in any way here. :woohoo:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 1 month ago #31597 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

:ohmy: It's tied to lent!? Never would have thought that!
Most of the population of Croatia are declared Christians and lent is a big deal to some, but pancakes were never a part of it in any way here. :woohoo:

:P Aha! I don't know. I know Shrove Tuesday comes before Ash Wednesday..Not that Ash Wednesday means much to me either, as I'm not Christian.

My mother always told me that Shrove Tuesday is 'Pancake Day' because (a long long time ago) Christians used to empty their cupboards of stuff, mix it all together, make pancakes and then give up food for 40 days for Lent whilst being content that they haven't wasted food stored away.

I don't know if that's just something she's made up or not, but it makes sense to me, haha.

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds