Show Navigation Menu

Sweets

More
13 years 2 months ago #29986 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Sweets
black_magnolia wrote:

Envy wrote:

:blink: Surprised there aren't any marshmallows in Croatia - Any reason why in particular?

I'll try and search for them in the grocery store, but I never seen them anywhere thus far and never even had the chance to eat them. :(
I'd call it a typical American item... The same way 10 years ago or so, you couldn't find maple syrup or peanut butter here.

Ahh..That's really interesting. Hm. The only thing I can think of using is just sugar/golden syrup/honey, but I guess it won't work for that recipe. It's what I usually use when recipes suggest using melted marshmallows to stick stuff together.

Marshmallows are just..Shapes made of flavoured sugar really. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #29991 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Sweets
Envy wrote:

Ahh..That's really interesting. Hm. The only thing I can think of using is just sugar/golden syrup/honey, but I guess it won't work for that recipe. It's what I usually use when recipes suggest using melted marshmallows to stick stuff together.

Marshmallows are just..Shapes made of flavoured sugar really. :woohoo:

Yeah, it's just that I don't know anything of that consistency that I could use with that recipe.
Hmmm... maybe I could use ladyfingers (the biscuits you use in tiramisu)... hmm... well, I'll do a bit of experimenting. :) Probably it won't taste like the recipe with marshmallows, but it should be edible.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30018 by nwbevk
Replied by nwbevk on topic Re: Sweets
I know Valentines day is comming first, but all this marshmellow talk is making me think of Easter time Peeps. Love those little marshmellow birdies... second ofcorse to Cadbury Cream Eggs.... which to my delight are in the store already, no idea why, but I won't argue.

More
13 years 2 months ago #30028 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Sweets
nwbevk wrote:

I know Valentines day is comming first, but all this marshmellow talk is making me think of Easter time Peeps. Love those little marshmellow birdies... second ofcorse to Cadbury Cream Eggs.... which to my delight are in the store already, no idea why, but I won't argue.

Those creme eggs are in our stores all year around, haha. :P Shame I can't stand them. We've never had marshmallow birds - I'm not even sure if they sell them in the UK. Usually we have chocolate mini-eggs, big chocolate easter eggs and decorative plastic-fluffy-chicks that you can buy in the shops if you want to decorate cakes etc.

:woohoo: I used to love having a big chocolate easter egg at easter, but from about..The age of 14 onwards, I haven't really been given any nor been able to handle one. Usually I nip at a bit of it, stick it in the fridge and then a while later, it becomes part of a chocolate chip cookie or something.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30052 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Sweets
black_magnolia wrote:

Morgana wrote:

black_magnolia wrote:

Does anyone have any interesting recipes for sweets that don't need an oven for the making?

I have a couple of recipes that don't need an oven, but you do need the stovetop. Would that work for you? I'll dig them up over the weekend and post them.

That would be awesome! Thank you! :) I only have a stovetop and a little refrigerator in my student kitchen, pretty Spartanic. :silly:

Here you go... no oven required!

Combine the following in a saucepan:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter (or margarine)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Bring to a boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly so it won't burn. Remove from the stove top, and add the following:

1 cup coconut
1 cup graham wafer crubms
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt

Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with whole graham wafers. Spread half the candy mixture over top, then add another layer of whole graham wafers. Spread the rest of the candy over that, then add a layer of icing (this part is optional, and you can use whatever flavour you'd like), then chill in the fridge.

Just in case you don't have graham wafers (aka graham crackers) in Croatia, here's a link so you know what I'm talking about.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_cracker
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by Morgana.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #30059 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re: Sweets
Morgana, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the recipe! :kiss:
The recipe sounds delicious! I have almost all the ingredients in my kitchen. Just have to buy the coconut (oh, I so love coconut! :)) and the crackers. By the picture I'd say we have them here, but after reading that they are sweet, I'm not sure if we do really have them, but I'm pretty sure I can find some appropriate cookies/biscuits for that recipe.
Can't wait to try it out! :)

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by black_magnolia.

Time to create page: 0.370 seconds