Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

Would you really want to be immortal?

More
9 years 10 months ago #39842 by iHauntTheSepulchre
SkieShauphen wrote:

So long as there is some way for me or another to bring me death, I will gladly accept immortality. Living forever allows for many experiences and once you've tried them all, well, at least death is still an option.

I quite like that idea.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39846 by Alan
Yes i would like it. i think it would nice to be able to see what really is going to happen. If it is going to end or go on. would you not like to see it?

More
9 years 10 months ago #39856 by SkieShauphen
Can you imagine living through to the end of the universe? Think of what it might be like if it were wiped out and you were the only thing left in existence... I'm pretty sure insanity would be your only end.

Meaning comes from within.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39858 by black_magnolia
I think if everything would be wiped out, so would you - that's the thing with every-thing. :woohoo: Hard to imagine that you would end up living if all the rest was wiped out (what about food, or air or anything to sustain your life?), although speaking of insanity: I can imagine someone going insane and thinking they are the only ones left in the universe.

And eternity is a very very long time! If there was a possibility of ending your immortal life when you had enough, then it would be cool to see some of the future.
I imagine most people think about a couple of centuries or a couple of millennia, but imagine hundreds of thousands of years! Imagine being turned immortal when you were a Neanderthal? How would you really enjoy all the world now in that body? Would you go through evolution although you are immortal? I can't really imagine that. And who knows how the human race will look like in the far future?

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39860 by SkieShauphen
I like where you're going with that, Magnolia. Those theories intrigue me so. Suppose there are many different version of immortality. I'm poking at the idea of god-like existence, where the simple needs of the human organism were no longer necessary. The influence of nature on your immortal body were moot, allowing you to exist through all, completely denying death in all it's forms. I imagine that you could change or perhaps you would be stuck in your original state for eternity. (The latter would suck...) Also, I imagine drifting along through the vacuum of space for hundreds of thousands of millennia. Waiting and waiting for some force of gravity to pick you up...likely a black hole or a star. Imagine existing through that torture...

Meaning comes from within.

More
9 years 10 months ago #39864 by black_magnolia
That kind made me think about Dr Who. :P

I think immortality would be cool under those God-like circumstances, but only if there were other immortals like myself or if this God-like immortality would go with some ability to not need socializing... Well, I'm sure mortal humans (or other sentient beings, maybe we're not alone in the Universe) would be good company enough, but imagine never ever having anybody truly understand how it's like?
I know even now as mortal beings that we are, finding someone who can understand exactly *every* thing about you is very hard, not to say impossible; but having someone who can understand stuff you're going through, it's a real (and rare) blessing.
I could imagine being immortal would come with some hardship too, so having other immortals with whom you could talk to would be essential, in my opinion. Sometimes one friend who gets it is all that makes a difference.

I could go on and on theorizing all of this. :blush: :laugh:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

Time to create page: 0.372 seconds