Show Navigation Menu
All things Gothic.

What makes you goth?

More
14 years 1 month ago #14097 by knumpcy
Replied by knumpcy on topic Re:What makes you goth?
Evolving in Gothdom as you never outgrow it...It is not a phase such as punk and the others, this is a way of life that never ends and is no longer SUB, it is a culture!

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #14108 by Kitessa76
Replied by Kitessa76 on topic Re:What makes you goth?
I suppose being goth (for me) can be summed up in one sentence: finding beauty in darkness.

More
14 years 1 month ago #14890 by Kyle87
Replied by Kyle87 on topic Re:What makes you goth?
knumpcy wrote:

Evolving in Gothdom as you never outgrow it...It is not a phase such as punk and the others, this is a way of life that never ends and is no longer SUB, it is a culture!

Goth has always been a culture, it's just been forgotten. Goths have been around since before christ. though mainly in nomad bands of shepherds and warriors, soon they became a larger culture goths were all over the world, not on country of people, so really more like a religion, they spread probally a much as the romans or mongolians but just not as attached to each other via trade and such.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #15914 by raidohaglaz
Replied by raidohaglaz on topic Re:What makes you goth?
I've always been partial to the dark and sombre. Being a bit melancholic, cynical and having humour that could be classified as dark and morbid. When I was little (and I mean small), I used to draw what I supposedly (according to my parents) called 'bone animals', skeletons. Drawing and writing subjects that are dark, menacing and altogether seen as evil of depressing. I find joy in expressing the darker sides of myself and the world as I view it. It lets me interact with a world that is mostly menacing and dark, but with a faint glimmer of hope on the horizon. And although we keep walking to that shining beacon, we will stop to smell a black rose and contemplate the decay and ruin we encounter. Acknowledging the darker things, not trying to block out the evil and negative influences, but rather mold them into something we can appreciate and hold dear.
I like to think I grew into the subculture, rather than grew out of one. I still am very much a metalhead. I listen to metal, but other genres have crept into my playlist, mostly darkwave and industrial, with some dark ambient which I have found helps and inspires me a great deal with my writing.
I have always had an interest in the clothing that is attached to goth. Wide sleeved shirts with ruffles, long black coats and extravagant and dark accessories. As I am accepting I am inevitably becoming an adult, I wear less and less band shirts and camouflage trousers (although if I'm not going out or just feel lazy, I will) and started to wear clothes that make me look more, well, distinguished. Suits and dress shirts are what I prefer to wear now. Neckties are something I am starting to get hooked on. Full black suits, dress shirts in dark colours, are things that let me show the world who I am, while still wearing what I feel I would wear best. An overly gothic waistcoat goes great with black trousers and a black dress shirt, and other subtle details can fill in the blanks for people.
Goth to me is something you can only fully appreciate once you start to fully live your life. It is not just a lifestyle, but a philosophy. One I embrace and personify with. Dark, elegant and poetic (alright, I tend to often fail on the elegant part, but two out of three still works).

More
14 years 3 weeks ago #15957 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re:What makes you goth?
I usually fail on the \"poetic\" part. I am dark, elegant, and snarky, but rarely poetic.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #15963 by raidohaglaz
Replied by raidohaglaz on topic Re:What makes you goth?
Kyle87 wrote:

Goth has always been a culture, it's just been forgotten. Goths have been around since before christ. though mainly in nomad bands of shepherds and warriors, soon they became a larger culture goths were all over the world, not on country of people, so really more like a religion, they spread probally a much as the romans or mongolians but just not as attached to each other via trade and such.

So what's that about then? The Goths were a tribe from northern Europe who travelled southwards during the Migration period and settled in Southern Europe, from the Iberian peninsula to northern Italy and Albania if I'm correct. There, they could be largely divided into two groups, the Visigoths and Ostrogoths. It were tribes of the Ostrogoths who ransacked Rome in the 5th century under the lead of a Goth with Roman citizenship, by the name of Arminius.
It was this act of barbarism and rebellion which allegedly gave the name gothic to the later Medieval architecture style. Even further down the road we have the Romantic movement in the 18th and 19th century, which drew heavily on the past and glorified the dark ages and its inhabitants, including the pagan Goths.
It is mainly the last subject that influenced the 20th century Gothic movement, being influenced by people like Wagner, Grimm, Poe and Byron. Their intriguing and bombastic works were what we mostly are influenced by, although they themselves were inspired by the dark ages. The dark ages to us are of secondary influence, and mostly only through the works of people such as aforementioned authors and composers. The Gothic movement of the 20th century is really just a darker take on the 19th century Romantic movement. And you have to agree with me, Dark Romantic sounds way better than Goth.

[edit]I'm sorry if the first part of this message seems a little rude. It's just that anything regarding ancient Germanic history and religion is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and I get a little fanatical about it. ;)
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by raidohaglaz.

Time to create page: 0.290 seconds