Show Navigation Menu
Media

Literature

More
14 years 10 months ago #81 by Blackaggy
Replied by Blackaggy on topic Re:Literature
I'm partial to Edgar Allan Poe, Tales of the Grotesque and Arabesque is an interesting read if your into the old classics.:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #82 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Literature
Love EAP (see my neglected Nevermore T-shirt thread...) and Dracula is really good. I just studied Frankenstein for my English A level but I didn't think it was as good as other classics of the genre. Mind you, you never like something as much when you go over bits of it over and over again.

More
14 years 10 months ago #83 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Literature
Poe is a big favorite of mine as well. I have a really good used book store in my city so over the years I've been able to piece together his entire works in a variety of hard cover volumes. There's something about holding an old leather bound and smelling the aged pages that just feels right. But, I digress . . .

Though I am a big fan of Poe's suspense, it was rather neat to read some of his satirical and lighter works. For a man who is known for dark tales he had rather a whimsical side to him.

Another interesting read was Dr.Jekyl & Mr.Hyde. In the original version by Robert Louis Stevenson you find that the change is a lot more psychological than it is physical unlike modern adaptations. Also, the physical changes aren't quite what you're used to expecting.

More
14 years 10 months ago #88 by Aftermidnight
Replied by Aftermidnight on topic Re:Literature
I'll add it my to-read pile, sounds good. Has anyone read The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde? It also looks interesting.

More
14 years 10 months ago #89 by Rubyred
Replied by Rubyred on topic Re:Literature
Clive Barkers short stories (books of blood) are good for a nice horror fix. I've read Dracula a good couple of times.

More
14 years 10 months ago #91 by cemwerewolf
Replied by cemwerewolf on topic Re:Literature
Ah, good old Dorian Gray. In case you haven't noticed, I'm a bit of an old book geek. That's one that I actually quite enjoyed. It's also a tale that hasn't been touched on too heavily by the media so it was rather a joy when I stumbled upon it the first time.

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds