Show Navigation Menu
Media

comics / graphic novels

More
14 years 6 months ago #2148 by Polaristhe2
ok, I promised myself to be nice because this is my first post and everything... But come on! Batman?! I do live naivity in comics but give me a break... I simply cannot pass the oportunity to promote some of the best comics I ever read (which stands for alot :laugh: )

Anyway
First comic I'd like to recommend is definitely Spawn.

Quite easy reading, fantastic artwork and a badass meter over 5000!

\"Al Simmons, once the U.S. government's greatest soldier and most effective assassin, was mercilessly executed by his own men. Resurrected from the ashes of his own grave in a flawed agreement with the powers of darkness, Simmons is reborn as a creature from the depths of Hell. A Hellspawn. Now Spawn must choose between his life on Earth and his place on a throne in Hell.\"

Iced Earth even did an album called Dark Saga, which tells the story of this comicbook character featured on their cover.

Downside is, this one turned into a soap opera long ago.
Nontheless a comic worthwhile reading.
(Spawn is published by Image)

Second is Sandman.

And no. I don't mean the Spiderman sideshow act villan Sandman.

I mean the actual Morpheus. God of sleep. Dream King. Dream.
This psychedelic, confusing, beautiful and sadly quite short series should keep you pinned untill you read it. Oh did I mention he has siblings? Yes. Their names are Destiny, Desire, Despair, Delirium (who was once Delight), and Destruction and Death.

It all starts when Dream is imprisoned for decades by an occultist seeking immortality. Upon escaping, he must reclaim his objects of power while still in a weakened state, confronting an addict to his dream powder, the legions of Hell, and an all-powerful madman in the process.

Unfortunately this one stopped. No more. What a shame. :(
(was published by Vertigo under DC)

Third is The Crow.

Little needs be said here. Made popular by the movie. Which was made popular by the tragic event in which Brandon Lee was killed.

However fact stands that comics are usually better than the movie. This is not an exception. The movie is a good adaptation, but try reading the comic.

And for ye of little faith, here are some differences:

- Top Dollar is not the main villain, nor the last to die, but is rather a lowly drug lord.
- The Crow knows from the beginning, the audience doesn't, but Eric does, of his purpose, where as in the movie it takes him awhile to realize and remember everything.
- In the movie, Eric was murdered for a purpose - to allow the Top Dollar gang to control the neighborhood.
In the comic, Eric died in a random act of violence as a gang decided to take advantage of a situation and rape his girlfriend while they were stuck on a deserted road.
- In the comic, nothing is said of Eric losing his powers if his bird is killed or captured, and actually, in a deleted scene of the movie, we find his vulnerability came from his vengeance being carried out. In the original screenplay, which is much more faithful to the comic, the Skull Cowboy appears before him as he lay on Shelly's grave, and before he goes to the church to save Sarah, warns him that he has finished his business, and is vulnerable again.
- Eric has no last name in the comic though when Albecht went into the files about his murder, it was filed under \"D\". Eric's last name was first mentioned in the movie, then the TV series, and finally made a comic book appearance in The Crow/Razor Kill The Pain, which also marked the return of the Eric Draven character to comics.
- Eric is not a rock guitarist in the comic, no inferences are made about his career at all. Eric was not actually referred to as a musician until the 1999 Image comics series.
- The Skull Cowboy is one of Eric's brief mentor's in the comic, but is not in the movie, save for a deleted scene. Later in the TV series the Skull Cowboy made an appearance, but not as the skull faced creature he was in the books, but rather looked human in appearance, though the Skull Cowboy of the TV series was constantly seen with an article of jewelery that was covered in small skull totems
- The movie character 'Sarah' is known as Sherri, is much younger, and is much less involved in the plot.
- Officer Albrecht played just a fleeting role in the comics, the character the movie version is based on was an African-American police Captain Hook.
- The cat, Gabriel, belongs to a woman Tin Tin kills, in the comic.
- Devils night did not exist in the original comic. It was nothing more than hollywood adding unneccesary filler.

(Was published by London Night Studios)

Preacher

\"Jesse Custer is a small-town reverend who fused with an entity called Genesis, giving him the word of god, forcing people to do whatever he says.\"

Forcing people to do whatever you say are most commonly dreams of 8th graders and mormons. However, Jesse Custer does this with style. Trainloads of style.

Preacher is accompanied by a hot chick, a vampire and John Wayne (well his ghost anyway). He battles all sorts of mundane and generic foes such as the Inquisition. And Saint of Killers (which is the dude that killed Satan). So read it. You will not regret it.
READ THE COMIC!

(Was published by Vertigo under DC Comics)

Dylan Dog

Dylan is just a man. Nothing more. Dylan lives with Groucho at 7 Craven Road in a cluttered apartment with a doorbell that screams. His hobbies include playing the clarinet and constructing a model ship which apparently never manages to finish; he has many phobias, including claustrophobia, bats and heights. Dylan is also particularly susceptible to motion sickness, which is one of the reasons why he rarely travels, and anyway never by plane. Once an alcoholic, he now never drinks. He is a vegetarian. He's also a hopeless romantic who loves and loses a new woman in nearly every issue. Yet still he's one of the coolest comic book characters ever. Ex ispector for Scotland Yard, Dylan is now a nightmare investigator.

\"Dylan Dog is a penniless nightmare investigator who defies the whole preceding horror tradition with a vein of surrealism and an anti-bourgeois rhetoric.\"

Now, the story about the birth of this character is actually a funny one. Dylan Dog was created by Tiziano Sclavi, an Italian comics and novel writer, while the graphic representation of the character was elaborated mainly by Claudio Villa, who was its first cover artist too, taking the inspiration from the English actor Rupert Everett, as he saw in the movie Another Country. Michele Soavi directed the film Dellamorte Dellamore (known abroad as Cemetery Man or Of Death and Love), with a screenplay written by Giovanni Romoli and based on Tiziano Sclavi's similarly titled novel.

Problem is, this comic book is (to the best of my knowledge) printed in Denmark, Spain, Croatia, Serbia and Italy (it is sold in over a million copies each month in Italy). Dark Horse Comic published an English version, though I'm not sure about details.

Italian author Umberto Eco said: \"I can read the Bible, Homer, or Dylan Dog for several days without being bored.\"

Guess Umberto knows...

Wow. I really streched this out. Thanks for the patience!

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #2174 by MefistaCenobica
Polaristhe2 first three are so good...

archdevilantidote.proboards.com/
My forum dedicated to bootleg stuff,help me to fill it

More
14 years 6 months ago #2175 by MefistaCenobica
knumpcy )

More
14 years 6 months ago #2177 by MefistaCenobica
CorpseQueen thank u for the link

More
14 years 6 months ago #2178 by MefistaCenobica
Vivaris tell me more about this things

More
14 years 6 months ago #2192 by Vivaris
They're webcomics so you can read the story as it's made/drawn, but once they get enough pieces they also make books to order and have at home :)

My favourites are by the same 2 guys, Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza

The original one is Least I Could Do: www.leasticoulddo.com/
It was actually done by various artists through the years, but I have to say I like Lar's drawing style the most. This one is updated every day.

And they also do a more recent, fantasy/D&D oriented comic called Looking For Group which is just plain awesome (updated Monday and Thursday): www.lfgcomic.com

I also regularly follow Ctrl+Alt+Del (Gaming comic) : www.cadcomic.com

And Order of the Stick (also D&D inspired, not much in the way of artistic drawing but an addictive storyline): www.giantitp.com

The dream is alive...

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds