Show Navigation Menu
Media

Twilight

More
13 years 8 months ago #23748 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:Twilight
Artistic license.

Meyer is allowed to make modifications in order to make the \"vampires\" to suit her will. Hell...She's done no worse than when originally vampires were made into the more sexy kind. Vampires were originally extremely repulsive creatures, far from in say... \"Interview with the Vampire\"

All Meyer has done is changed to lore in order to make a character that would appeal to her audience. Sparkling in the sunlight just makes them appeal more, in her mind, to her target audience.

I used to argue a similar point to you, however, I now see that I was rather mistaken in doing so. I've not read the series as of yet, nor have I seen the movies so I can't exactly argue against it.

It's a teenage romance aimed at teenage girls. It's hit the market pretty damn well and I applaud Meyer for that. She may not be a great writer to me however she knows how to appeal to her audience which makes her pretty damn good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23811 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re:Twilight
Kuroboshi wrote:

Artistic license.

Meyer is allowed to make modifications in order to make the \"vampires\" to suit her will. Hell...She's done no worse than when originally vampires were made into the more sexy kind. Vampires were originally extremely repulsive creatures, far from in say... \"Interview with the Vampire\"

Good point... I think in most of the original vampire myths, they were little more than shambling stinking corpses. Not exactly the romantic figures we see in the movies today.

It seems every author has their own take on the \"standard\" mythology as well. Anne Rice's vampires don't have sex, but Charlaine Harris' do; some can fly, or disappear, some can't; some older ones can take a bit of sun, etc. Just depends on which world you're reading about at the time.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23813 by Kuroboshi
Replied by Kuroboshi on topic Re:Twilight
Depends on which form of vampire you look at. There's many variations in different folklores. Which in the end just goes to tell you that there's no actual consensus on what form a vampire will truly take, making Meyer's creation of her own kind of vampire to suit her means no more wrong than any other interpretation.

Hell, if anything the whole \"Edward being a vampire\" thing in Twilight is part of the appeal, it adds a form of mystery to the character and with the general view on vampires, adds a hint of danger. Though whether this is just implied through the association or is somewhat stated in the book, I will not know.

In the end, I don't think Twilight would have done as successfully considering other teenage-romance novels more than likely just deal with them being humans, Meyer needed something in order to make her novel stand out more than others.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23820 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re:Twilight
Kuroboshi wrote:

Meyer needed something in order to make her novel stand out more than others.

Hah, that reminds me, I recalled hearing she was rejected a few times when first trying to get 'Twilight' published, as the start of the novel is incredibly boring.

I recall nearly falling asleep and losing interest at the first few pages of 'Twilight'. They are quite poorly written. I'd agree that if it wasn't for how she manipulated the whole 'vampire' theme, she may not have had her series published at all.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23825 by Malkie
Replied by Malkie on topic Re:Twilight
Hello world

I can't belive this sad excuse for a topic came up, not to sound bad towards the person who created it, i still love you..

But twilight has made the fear of the night and the dark something to be laughed at. It humanises vampires and werewolves, its like a PG version for kids so they can think goth and halloween are cool.

I find it sad, why do this to occult learnings, kids think witches are all pointy hatted warty old women, and now they will think vampires glow in the da\"y\"rk which is sad.

I've never watched it nor read the books.. I don't intend to either.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #25563 by ondespumeggianti
well, i wonder, have someone seen Twilight parody, \"Vampires Suck\"?
i don't see it yet, i would like to know, what do you think about!
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by ondespumeggianti.

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds