Show Navigation Menu

Opinions on art and the \"art world\"

More
13 years 6 months ago #26521 by Malkie
Hello world

I must say i find art hard to get sometimes, some people just make a painting splatter it around and say it has meaning.

But sometimes i see things within art that i can't imagine the artist thought one should. I like my mind like that.

ars gratia artis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26525 by black_magnolia
Madam_Mim wrote:

iHauntTheSepulchre wrote:

I'm a huge fan of art (both my mum and I have created various pieces between us over the years), but I do not think \"modern art\" is art at all. A canvas with merely a few lines or blobs of paint, is not artistic.

Just to get a few concepts straight, Modern Art refers to artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s. More recent artistic production is often called Contemporary art or Postmodern art.

So to say that Modern Art is not art, it is like saying that Picasso, van Gogh, Cézanne, Gauguin, Seurat and Toulouse Lautrec are not artists ........................ And we can hardly disagree that they are great artists in their own way. :kiss:

Yes, that term \"modern\" can be truly confusing. :silly: I must say that I find some Dada works quite questionable in regards to how much art they are...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 6 months ago #26539 by CarolineA
I think a lot of the artworks that are just blocks and splatters and drizzles of colour look like something you might do to get a feel for the colours, techniques etc you're thinking about using in a work; a good excercise or practice but not a finished piece.
I do like art and find it's often a good way of making a statement, putting down your emotions, memories or good as something decorative. I do prefer to make things that are practical, but I do sometimes do artsy stuff for its own sake.
It's possibly a better area to cut down on then some others, but I think a good, in depth look could possibly find a way to make this less needed, by rejigging where stuff is spent. Overall, I wish it wasn't so, but I can understand why.
Wow, that turned into an essay...

More
13 years 6 months ago #26599 by iHauntTheSepulchre
Madam_Mim wrote:

I'm a huge fan of art (both my mum and I have created various pieces between us over the years), but I do not think \"modern art\" is art at all. A canvas with merely a few lines or blobs of paint, is not artistic.

Just to get a few concepts straight, Modern Art refers to artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s. More recent artistic production is often called Contemporary art or Postmodern art.

So to say that Modern Art is not art, it is like saying that Picasso, van Gogh, Cézanne, Gauguin, Seurat and Toulouse Lautrec are not artists ........................ And we can hardly disagree that they are great artists in their own way. :kiss:

My concept of modern art must be different to yours because, to put it bluntly, 1: I adore van Gogh (and i do not classify his art as modern) and 2: I care little for what period a piece was created in, I only care that a piece speaks to me.

Death's kiss was soft as rose petals...

More
13 years 6 months ago #26604 by Madam_Mim

Madam_Mim wrote:

My concept of modern art must be different to yours because, to put it bluntly, 1: I adore van Gogh (and i do not classify his art as modern) and 2: I care little for what period a piece was created in, I only care that a piece speaks to me.

It’s not my own definition, because if you look in an encyclopedia, you will see that van Gogh is widely regarded as important contributor to the foundations of modern art. :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #26615 by Mr.Obsidian
Wow, I have had some arguments with people about modern and postmodern art. I have seen some works to be interesting, beautiful and creative. Others, like a giant black dot, I do not see any creativity or thought.

But then again, I have had the same arguments about noise music.

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds