Show Navigation Menu

Trust & Fidelity

More
13 years 10 months ago #21773 by Polaristhe2
Replied by Polaristhe2 on topic Re:Fidelity
black_magnolia wrote:

It's interesting how this topic went from fidelity to trust.
Fidelity and trust aren't synonyms.
Fidelity is the quality of being faithful or loyal. Its original meaning regarded duty to a lord or a king, in a broader sense than the related concept of fealty. The word deriving from the Latin word fidēlis (adjective), meaning \"faithful or loyal\".
Trust stands for the reliance on and confidence in the truth, worth, reliability, etc., of a person or thing.
I'll try to put it simple:
You can or can not *trust* someone to be *faithful or loyal*.
Fidelity isn't something that is mechanically connected to trust. You are faithful/loyal to someone no metter what. That friend may stab you in the back but you will stay loyal to him; the king is forcing a tax on the people and betraying thir trust because he promised that he won't force any more taxes on them, and you still stay loyal to the king even though you may feel the king is wrong - that's the reason you have to think twice to whom you promise to be faithful or loyal, becasue after such a promise, it's more of a matter of honour if you will oblige to such a promise and thus stay loyal. In that regard trust can lead to fidelity, but the two shouldn't be regarded as equal...

I really don't want to flame or draw any bad blood, but this post is such a thorn in my eye.

Yes, I am quite aware that your intentions were good and I realize what you wanted to say. But to be perfectly honest, I don't see the reason for cutting such an interesting subject with something so... irrelevant. Besides, you speak Croatian. Our language uses the same base, which is \"vjera\". Don't get me wrong, but the quotation of a dictionary is way too much for me, and completely redundant for this topic. That and I think that the majority of this forum board knows the difference between fidelity and trust.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a bit overreacted but I really felt I should post this.

Choices we make and the choices that are, when Hell is so close and Heaven so far.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #21822 by black_magnolia
Replied by black_magnolia on topic Re:Fidelity
Polaristhe2 wrote:

I really don't want to flame or draw any bad blood, but this post is such a thorn in my eye.

Yes, I am quite aware that your intentions were good and I realize what you wanted to say. But to be perfectly honest, I don't see the reason for cutting such an interesting subject with something so... irrelevant. Besides, you speak Croatian. Our language uses the same base, which is \"vjera\". Don't get me wrong, but the quotation of a dictionary is way too much for me, and completely redundant for this topic. That and I think that the majority of this forum board knows the difference between fidelity and trust.

Again, I'm sorry if this is a bit overreacted but I really felt I should post this.

Excuse me, but how did I \"cut\" this interesting topic when this topic can't even get going? Nevermind.
I think I'll do some editing so that this thread doesn't end up in the graveyard...

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
13 years 10 months ago #21862 by Thurysaz
Replied by Thurysaz on topic Re:Trust & Fidelity
I do not know if this subject is interresting or if is not but, it does not seem to want to answer.
Because whenever we try to have a discution speaking other things as trivia ...

Mes hommages.

T.

More
13 years 10 months ago #22430 by Poledra1a
Replied by Poledra1a on topic Re:Trust & Fidelity
Eeep. Well I'll be honest - I trust my partner's fidelity.

...but that doesnt mean that sometimes that little bubble of doubt floats to the surface and goes *POP*...

But that's what you do when you become close to someone - if you have trust issues then the fidelity can be compromised more easily.

My partner keeps telling me that if you think something will happen then generally karma will come around and kick you in the arse. So if you think about trust issues and fidelity issues and worry about them, then the other person is going to sense your insecurity and doubt and bad things can happen (by that I mean fights and such).

We all like to believe in trust and fidelity, but as human's we are flawed, and quite frankly shit happens.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds