Show Navigation Menu

What's in the news?

More
12 years 10 months ago #32752 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: What's in the news?
Ohh..Right. I was really confused by our news (been watching it just now). From the images and things they said, I got the impression that his location was unknown and that the US just bomb-raided randomly and got a lucky hit. I only just heard the precise method of death on the news just as I read what you put..But it doesn't seem to be what our media is focusing on.

Everyone here is more afraid of retaliation by terrorists in revenge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #32753 by scootiebee
Replied by scootiebee on topic Re: What's in the news?
Apparently, according to the news here, they had been closing in on this bunker/compound where he was assumed to have been hiding. U.S. Special Forces people raided it yesterday, and killed him. His body was taken and tested to confirm identity, then he was buried at sea. Apparently Saudi Arabia did not want his body (since that is where most of his family lives), and burying him anywhere that could be set up as a martyr's shrine was thought to be a bad idea.

Still, it is kind of a relief that he is gone from the earth, as anyone who remembers the pain he has caused will attest to.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

More
12 years 10 months ago #32754 by black_magnolia
scootiebee wrote:

Still, it is kind of a relief that he is gone from the earth, as anyone who remembers the pain he has caused will attest to.

I feel somehow the same. It's nice hearing that he is gone, but it would be even better if that meant that all those terrorist attacks would diminish. Don't think that will happen.
I think bin Laden was more occupied with hiding from the US the last 10 years then planing any real attacks... :pinch:

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago #32793 by Envy
:unsure: ..Is anyone else disgusted by the mass celebrations in the US regarding the death of Bin Laden?

Wedding fever's been put aside now in our media and replaced by Bin Laden's death stuff..Our papers collected together US headlines regarding this story and published some of them. I know he was an evil man, but..\"Got the bastard\"..? Really? It's such a distasteful headline.

I've never seen a headline remotely like that in my life and it completely disgusts me. I just view celebrations over a death as completely animalistic..Regardless of who or what has died. I can't get over it. Celebrations over a death?!

They say one man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighter. What if a significant Westerner, who was viewed as equally evil over there as we viewed Bin Laden over here, was picked out and killed by Middle-Easterners with them celebrating the killing on an equally large scale? I mean - I think - I THINK people over on this side of the world would be pretty peeved and want retribution!

I can't seriously be the only one to think this, right?

More
12 years 10 months ago #32795 by black_magnolia
Envy wrote:

:unsure: ..Is anyone else disgusted by the mass celebrations in the US regarding the death of Bin Laden?

Honestly, I'm avoiding the news and tv in general as much as I can lately, so I'm not really aware of it.
The first thing I thought when I heard how they killed him was: NO TRIAL!?!
Hell, he may have been a terrorist but he was human (not interested in the how can you call that monster human discussion, so don't even bother coming up with it), and after human rights, he deserved a trial.
With the small amount of info I could gather, they just executed him without further ado.

Yes, in a way, it's disgusting celebrating someone's death like this, but you can't really help it. Bin Laden's death is retribution for 9/11, so as far as retribution goes, naturally that they are celebrating.

To see a world in a Grain of Sand,
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

More
12 years 10 months ago #32797 by Envy
black_magnolia wrote:

Honestly, I'm avoiding the news and tv in general as much as I can lately, so I'm not really aware of it.
The first thing I thought when I heard how they killed him was: NO TRIAL!?!
Hell, he may have been a terrorist but he was human (not interested in the how can you call that monster human discussion, so don't even bother coming up with it), and after human rights, he deserved a trial.
With the small amount of info I could gather, they just executed him without further ado.

Yes, in a way, it's disgusting celebrating someone's death like this, but you can't really help it. Bin Laden's death is retribution for 9/11, so as far as retribution goes, naturally that they are celebrating.

Yeah..That was one of the things that crossed many minds here too. A lot of us know why there was no trial..Even though we don't *know* know..It's just common sense that it'd have been hassle if he was captured..Plus a trial for him in particular would generally only have one result, esp. if he was taken back to the US to be trialled..

It just bothers me. Yes, his death was retribution for 9/11...But to them, 9/11 was retribution for what radicals felt was religious injustice surrounding the First Gulf War..What bothers me is that I don't see this ever ending. It's like starting a new Palestinian-Israeli conflict..Ugh.

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds