Show Navigation Menu

Sweets

More
13 years 2 weeks ago #31685 by Morgana
Replied by Morgana on topic Re: Sweets
I could be waaay off here, but this is what I've heard about Shrove Tuesday...

It's the day before Lent begins, which is a period of fasting leading up to Easter (not total, no-food-at-all fasting, but more like a time of cutting-back). People used to make pancakes that day, because they could use up any eggs, milk, butter, etc. that they had around. They wouldn't eat these things during Lent (which lasts 40 days, I think), so this was a good way to use them up in advance, rather than letting them go bad and get thrown out. As far as I know it's mainly a Catholic tradition, and since I don't know any Catholics, I'm not sure how strict people are with observing it anymore.

It's also Mardi Gras (English translation - Fat Tuesday) in New Orleans.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 1 week ago #31696 by Envy
Replied by Envy on topic Re: Sweets
:P It sounds about right. I heard it was mainly Christian, but I don't know. Loads of people give up something for Lent anyway, regardless of religion.

It's like a second chance at a New Year's Resolution. :woohoo:

We found these really neat 'pancake bites' for sale in the supermarket. :P Hehe. They're like tiny pancakes about 1 inch in diameter. Brilliant.

More
13 years 6 days ago #31847 by Prissy
Replied by Prissy on topic Re: Sweets
just made dulce de leche it was awesome

ZOSO

More
13 years 6 days ago #31858 by Envy
:P My flute exam accompanist gave me a chocoate easter bunny, so I've been sneakily nibbling at the ears..

Oh. And it had 'chocolate beans' inside (basically mini-smarties without the brand), so I just had to pour those out and eat them before my family got to them.

More
13 years 9 hours ago #31989 by Luvietje
Replied by Luvietje on topic Re: Sweets
:kiss: chocolate bunnies

also:

almost easter! ^_^

It was cold when darkness fell,
The night longed for a child.

More
13 years 5 hours ago #31991 by Envy
Chocolate 'Smarties' brand mini-eggs. :blink: They're not as nice as the Cadbury's mini-eggs, but still good.

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds